Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thinking about Holidays and Growing-Up

My parents had some good friends when I was a kid- Ross and Gay. They had a son called Dylan and this one time we went on holiday and Dylan came with us. We were in my Dad's big old triumph 2500 (which eventually became mine) and had the caravan as well. This one night we were at a camp ground in central Otago I don't remember where exactly. My parents had the caravan and we were sleeping on the front seats of the triumph which had been laid back flat. I guess I was about 8 or 9 at the time.

We lay there in our sleeping bags for hours and hours, watching, counting, amazed and probably a little bit terrified. I guess we must have eventually fallen asleep. That was the first time I ever saw the Southern Lights. It was incredible and I will always remember it.

I also remember the campground in Alexandra on the same holidays- although those memories are a little more sketchy. I just remember long summer nights. Lots of kids, the milkman delivering Pinto juice, Mr Whippy every night and pushing my bear on the swing- poor Charles he fell off and lost an eye. We replaced it but he spent the rest of his life looking like the teddy version of David Bowie.

We owned the Caravan for a shortish while and I imagine my Dad had grand plans of family holidays- but I can't honestly remember more than that one. Most other 'go away' type holidays were spent at my Nana's Crib with Nana- and the odd trip to Nelson to see my grandparents. And of course once I got older in Christchurch with my Dad. But I can safely say the Smith-Braham 'Family' were not the champions of 'the great kiwi family holiday'. In fact I don't even think we were contenders.

Les' family on the other hand most definitely were. I believe they had a caravan at 'the beach' (I am assuming that was Waihi, Whiritoa or Whangamata or something in that region. Les' Dad was a keen fisherman and his family were fairly well off so I expect they probably holidayed fairly often.

We don't. We've done the Nats a couple of times with the kids and of course we've gone to Christchurch. We did a couple of holiday in Australia tied into attending gliding competitions we did some sight seeing.

Finances aren't really abundant so opportunities are limited. We're not big on camping (especially when the kids are really small- it all seems like more work as opposed to a relaxing break) and anything else is probably over budget.

So here's my question it feels like the kids are missing out- Are they? If not why not? And if so any ideas on what's a good alternative option?

No comments: