Sunday, January 31, 2010
I'll most likely do a scrapbook page about this or something and it is also one of the last of 3 posts to finish up for 'Holidays in Hand". Here are the great, cool, good and simply awesome parts of 2009 (Each colour change represents a month change and the pink is a general category)
- Catching up with Caitlin J.
- Going out to Oratia with Ma and Kieley
- Shakespeare Beach with the Brinkmans/Casbolts.
- Valentines Lunch with Les at Waimauku.
- BBQ with Tara and Family
- Having a Day up at Scrapcamp.
- Finding out some Shannon and Lisa were expecting
- Getting flowers from the Nielson Girls
- Attending Logan and Trudy's wedding together.
- Nana Coming to stay and going up to Waiwera with her.
- School Camp at MERC
- Les completing the Mud Run
- Hearing the news that Miss Wendy and Ashley were expecting.
- Easter with the Raes
- Kieran started playing Rugby
- Will stared walking
- Les went to Blenheim for Flt Sgt's Qual
- I read Artemis Fowl 1-3
- Discovered the blog 'Living Oprah'
- Merenia got Player of the Day for Netball
- Converted my scrap organisation to colour based
- Kieran won a PS2 and appeared on Sticky TV
- Our neighbours moved out.
- The Cheifs made the finals and we watched the Semi at Dave L's with good food and good friends
- We visited with Miss Lily and Miss Mannington
- Machi and Camo came up and stopped by for a visit
- Starbucks brought out Cinnamon Dolce Frappucinos
- We got new vinyl in the kitchen
- Friday night scrapbooking
- Official St Johns Induction
- Pyjama Party at home
- Les got glasses (who knew he could be even hotter!)
- I read all the lemony snicket books
- The kids had Stage Challenge
- Merenia played Rippa
- We watched AB's Vs. France with the Raes.
- Had Morning tea with Caitlin H, Natalia and Glenys
- Merenia scored her first (two) goals in a match at netball
- Les painted a Sea Sprite on the hangar doors
- Les and Merenia went to the Thermal Thaw
- Granny and Kieley took Merenia and Alyssa to the Mystics
- Merenia started Mind Labs
- Kieran started Correspondence Maths
- Kieran represented the school at the Sci quiz and Hockey Interzones
- Merenia and Alyssa saved our house from fire
- We got all our stored stuff organised in plastic boxes
- Got an A1 mat for my craft table
- Watched a Mystics training with my netball girls
- Kieran went to the transformers movie
- Celebrated Les' birthday
- Merenia went to the Hannah Montana movie
- Watched Waikato play for free at Massey RFC
- Kieran went to the All Blacks Road show
- Les got his long-service medal
- Three people we care for announced they were expecting babies in Feb 2010
- Les went flying in Matamata and got 2nd place
- Got an email from an old friend
- Scored some cool stuff via trade me, the sally army store and scrapbook outlet
- Scrapped 26 pages in a weekend
- Miss Wendy brought us cupcakes
- Had a great day out with Aneil at Mt Vic and Devonport
- Granny and Kieley took Merenia to see the Silver Fern's Vs. The World
- Kieran represented the school for Cross-country
- Friday night scrapbooking
- Grey's Anatomy Quiz Night with Lyn and Daniella
- Had a neat Starbucks trip with Daniella
- Celebrated Merenia's Birthday
- Celebrated 11 years married to the loves of our life
- Got a lovely bunch of flowers from my netball girls
- Read all the Harry Potter books
- The kids went to Christchurch for the holidays
- K and M got great Maths reports
- Merenia improved her Cross-country placing by 3
- Kieran's rugby team got the Club Sportsmanship award
- Kieran got ideal player for his team
- Merenia got third in her first St Johns Comp
- The Clematis flowered for the first time
- Kieran invented YUMMY baked potatoes
- Made a cool book for Les for fathers day
- Finished collecting the years Power Play cards
- I completed our 2009 Week In The Life Album pages
- We got a new DVD recorder
- Aneil brought us steak for dinner
- I celebrated my birthday
- Les cooked me a yummy meal
- Put in a new raised garden bed
- Brunch with the Corsans
- Trip to the Takapuna Markets
- Went to Ambury Park Farm Day
- Kieran went to an AB's Training session
- Enjoyed some cool movies on DVD
- Tiny (Vienna) arrived
- Ehren arrived
- Got some cool stuff on Ebay thanks to an opportunity from Jan and Joe
- Scored some cool stuff at Hasbro, Sally Army and Spotlight
- Celebrated Kieran's Birthday
- Kieran had a patrols trip to Rainbows End
- Spent three cool weekends with the Dawson kids
- Les went to Cambridge for Armistice and was then winched out of a Seasprite at Waitakere Stadium
- Had dinner with the Carringtons
- Kieran went to a couple of movies
- Les had a weekend of glider flying
- Merenia spent a week at Timatanga
- Will got a prize in a colouring competition
- Merenia got a basket of goodies in another colouring competition
- I got some starbucks Christmas decos from two super ladies and some vouchers from one of them as well
- We set up our paddling pool for the summer
- Met Baby Jake
- Celebrated Will's Birthday
- Got a great big sandpit to enjoy
- Got a new photo printer and a set of tiny deer
- Had yummy summer food; ice creams, gucamole and fruit salad
- Watched Elliot read his speech at Graduation
- Celebrated Sally and Kevin's wedding
- AucklandSoar BBQ
- BBQ at Aneils place with friends
- Trip to Kiwi Valley for Merenia
- Merenia participated in the Kumeu Christmas Parade
- Heaps of cool stuff in the lead up to Christmas
- Merenia had what will hopefully be her last day of primary school
- Celebrated Christmas
- And enjoyed the school holidays
- Completed a 365 album
- Enjoyed the companionship of some great family, friends and neighbours
- Enjoyed a truly abundant life
- Got to raise, enjoy and love 3 of the most incredible children who ever lived
- Spent countless hours in the company of each other
- Ate well
- Laughed often
- Loved much
This was the day Merenia planted the seed tape. Our swan plants are under that white net curtain cover. We were trying to let them grow large before the Monarch delivered the 'motherload'.
We also intended to put the cover back on once the eggs had been laid so we didn't get over run by caterpillars like we did last year.
We have been reaping the rewards of gardening though. Lettuce, Rocket, Basil, Radishes and strawberries. The tomatoes went in so late they are only just starting to get big let alone ripen. And the capsicum got so over run by the lettuce they got lost and so are still very small. The Spring onions and carrots from the seed tapes are just starting to happen now.
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Do you like my new header? I took the photo myself. :-)
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Steak with Chunky Kumara and Potato Chips, Fresh Asparagus and onions and mushrooms cooked on the BBQ.
More Steak BBQ's with Garlic and Mushrooms, the same chunky chips and a GREAT 'Les'Green Salad with Cashews, Blue Cheese, Avocado drizzled with balsamic vinegarette and Puhoi Cheese Factory curry dressing.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Friday, January 22, 2010
At one time Pies were so big that I thought I might explode if I heard; "I like Pie" (a la flight of the conchords) one more time. So I banned the word Pie and for a long time after Pie's were known as 'Tasty Pastry Dishes'.
Kieran likes to sing "I'm too full for broccoli, but I still have room for some Pie"
Today may be Friday but tomorrow (according to my little brothers Simpsons calendar) is Pie Day.
We are ready.
We have 28 pies in our house. 6 different brands and something like 13 different flavours.
It's going to be a pie-rific pie-o-rama.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
For the first time in two years and one month on Monday Les and I slept together, alone. When I say alone I mean it was just the two of us in the bedroom.
Will has shared a room with one or both of us since his very beginning. I thought that he would find it quite hard to make the transition to sharing with Merenia. I expected there to be, as they say, tears before bedtime, and in fact tears after bedtime as well. But in fact there were none at all. He went down calmly and happily as his sister watched on from her top bunk perch. The next morning, as is his custom, he woke too early and Merenia did as instructed; “It’s still sleeping time Will go back to sleep buddy.” And he did. There were no tears or drama when he eventually awoke again. He did not miss his morning drink and all was well in his 25 month old world. I’m not sure if I should feel elated or in fact offended.
I had thought that for us it would be nothing but sweet relief, but it wasn’t nearly as easy as that. Having Will next to us has never really had much of a downside- he sleeps through most of our noises and if we wanted to we probably could have turned on lights and telly while he slept with no hassles. The upside was that we had a bunch of routines that we will now miss dearly. The quiet moments when we kissed him good night, put on his music (“Pop goes the Eagle”), wished him a good sleep and reminded him that we’d be there in the morning for a cuddle, a booby and then a death roll. (When Will is done with his first of the morning snack he’ll turn his attention to Les getting his head as close as physically possible to Les’ face and then roll, crocodile-with-prey-like, 3 or so times till he is sufficiently comfortable). This routine has on many occasions provided us with the luxury of one sometimes two or more hours extra sleep past Will’s personal 6:30am alarm.
Sharing with Will has also meant that many a time I have heard him talk in his sleep about all sorts of things from playing outside to Daddy and Kieran and on one particularly fraught occasions some issue with the Playstation. He has also laughed, giggled, snuffled and even clapped in his sleep.
He is not at all a tidy or quiet sleeper. Never staying for long under his blankets and forgoing the convention of sleeping with his head at any particular end of the bed around the time he was strong enough to wriggle his cute little body to all points in the cot. He often kicks, thumps and crashes around like a pro-wrestler in the ring and the absence of this noise is practically audible above the din from the other side of the bed. But perhaps the thing I miss most is the fact his head was often right beside mine and on coming to bed I would reach through the bars of the cot stoke his invariably sweaty head and hold his little warm and clammy hand until I nodded off or he rolled over.