Wednesday, December 23, 2009

When I was a kid...

From left to right; Tara Taylor, Berri (Berinthia) Binnie, Me, Kerri Cleaver, Suzy Duncan. DIC Santa circa 1990/1. As an aside I remember Berri once said that she had a dream that she died no one who came to her funeral wore black except me and that, that didn't count because I always wore black. :-)

The HIH Prompt for the 22nd was Name one Holiday ritual you practice because it reminds you of childhood. What specific recollections do you have of the ritual that stand out in your mind?

I'm not sure if these are rituals so much as traditions but here goes...

I can't remember a year in my life that I didn't visit Santa and I think most times we would have got a photo although I don't have the evidence to prove that. We always do with our kids in fact we did it on Monday see....


We always get the kids an Advent Calendar... this year is advent calendar madness; We have the homemade muffin tin ones we made with the Dawsons, the kids each have a very commercial Chocolate Calendar and likewise commercial Lego and Littlest Pet Shop Calendars for K and M and finally Kieran has a school made calendar also with lollies. Personally I'd much rather they had the ones of my childhood that had lovely glittery traditional Christmas Scenes (Oh which one to choose!!??) and each door opened to reveal a little picture of mice, or pixies or some other sweet thing.

And we have in the past few years instituted a tradition of having a nice meal (Roast Chicken usually) on Christmas Eve which was something we did in my house when I was a kid though it was normally a VERY nice cut of beef or lamb - not sure how that was afforded on top of everything else, one of the perks of a butcher in the family maybe?

No comments: