Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hope

I have been putting this one off I wasn't too sure to handle it the prompt is talk about the idea of 'Hope' as it applies to the holidays. And how as the promise of hope changed since I became an adult?

To be honest as a teenager I was a regular viewer of Days of Our Lives. I would tape it as did my friend Suzy Duncan. When we got to our respective homes each day after school we'd cue the tape to the starting moments... "as the sands through the hour glass so are the days of our lives".....then one of us would call the other and we'd sit and watch it 'together' over the phone. Shocked, wowed, amused and sometimes just plain frustrated. So what comes to my mind when I think of Hope...

Mmmmm-mmmm rocking out that head gear!!

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really do 'hope'. I mean sure I hope we win Lotto. I hope Will will have a day time sleep without me. And I hope the weather will hold off on the day we've planned a picnic at the beach.

I also dream. I have big dreams and small dreams... houses, holidays, scrapbook rooms and cherry liqueur chocolates (where oh where can they be??).

And I also do. I just get on with it. If you spend all your time hoping then you are unlikely to ever get what it is your hoping for.

As for the promise of hope since I became an adult.... First of all I think this question really relates to God and the hope that Gods and His son Jesus gave people. I don't really do God I respect that there may be a God and I respect that people may want to follow God. But I am not going to depend on some future hope of utopia when I can enjoy my life NOW. And I'm also not going to rely on one great Saviour to give me strength when I already have it in myself and I think I'd feel a lot prouder of using my own strength than of having to depend on God's especially as it seems to me that He is not usually forth coming just when people need Him most.

So I think since I've become an adult I put less energy into hope because I now truly have the independence, ability and strength to just do for myself rather than to hope for some higher power.

Oooohhh that ended up a bit deeper than I thought. It's funny though- I sound just like Hope- that's what she'd do... go out there fight Stefano, save Marlene and discover John Black's true identity and find a way to get back with her true love. Who knew I'd learn one of lifes great lessons watching Days of Our Lives?

********

I'll be back later with a post about gifts in the meantime we are off to get Ice Creams it's the Holidays let's celebrate! HoooooRAY!

No comments: