Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Party

We're not really party people- first up we don't have a whole heap of friends and those that we do have are all kind of disconnected. Secondly our house is tiny. Thirdly I'm an introvert, and I get really worried out about things being 'right' for people. I'm the sort of person who thinks.... "Oooohhh 'this' would be a great idea! And then if I run with it I ended up stressed out no end and wish that I had never thought of it. And don't enjoy 'it' because of all that."

That said there is one party that we do attend each year and that is the Base Children's Christmas Party. Each person that works on base contributes to a welfare fund which pays for a whole heap of things - tools, trailers, caravans and boats that we can hire, holiday homes and all sorts of other stuff like a huge day of bouncy castles, vertical bungy, rock climbing, Santa, water fights, horse rides and all sorts of other cool stuff- if you happen to be a kid.

We also used to go to the Kindy Christmas Party which was lovely- big cooked breakfast, kids singing carols and groovy presents hand made by the kids. It'll be pretty cool when Will gets to that age and we get to do that stuff again.

As a kid I remember the big company parties I don't know if they still do that sort of things. I remember going to the Speights one a couple of times because my Uncle worked for them and didn't have his own kids. And I also remember going to a lot of Railways ones as well. They were the sort of things like a big picnic and a countryside location. Santa would invariably come and bring each of the kids a present. And there'd be Dad and kids races like the three legged race and wheelbarrow races as well as the egg and spoon. Do those things still happen any more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! The Fire service welfare fund just put on a fantastic kids party at Dunedin City Station last Saturday, Mr Whippy, vertical bungy, boucy castle, chips & fizzy and Santa dishing out gifts from a vintage fire truck.... and Camo wouldn't have a bar of ANY of it and instead sepnt the whole afternoon dropping leaves and tiny stones down a stormwater grate....

<3 Macchi :)