Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Remember: Christmas Food

Les' Family has some definite faves; Pumpkin Pie, key lime pie, trifle, and some weird rice pudding I was too weirded out to try. And cinnamon oysters- if you've never had those you really should- Edmonds book!

My family were Christmas food traditionalists- Roast Turkey with all the trimmings, home made Christmas cake (Edmonds book number 2 off the top of my head) and Christmas Pudding with real sixpences and shillings (only reason I ate it). It took me a long while to feel like it was still a 'real' Christmas without that stuff.


But there are two particular recipes I'd like to share:

The first is 'Lucerna Ice Cream' One of my aunties worked at Lucerna Restaurant in Dunedin and was able to score the recipe for their awesome Ice cream it has at least a dozen eggs, a lot of cream and a heap of brandy as well. I can't give you the recipe because when my auntie asked for it on my behalf my mum wouldn't give it. She's nice like that.

The second is for Punch which I have cobbled together from memory:

1 part cold tea
1 part Orange juice
1 part Pineapple juice
1.5 parts lemonade
1.5 parts ginger ale

Pour together in a punch bowl add ice cubes, fresh mint, orange slices, whole cherries and strawberries hull removed (any other fruit you may like- pineapple etc) . Yum! Keep the bottles from the fizzy to place any left overs in to store in the fridge.

No comments: