Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Light

(Not our house... do love that 'Christmas Whale' though!)

The HIH Prompt for day 21 asked about; the significance of light, traditions relating to light.

I don't believe that light has any significance as such for us at Christmas but we do definitely have traditions.

This year we started a new one which was to have sleep out under the tree the kids watched a movie by the light of the tree and slept in the lounge in front of the tree all night. In the future I hope to make this the night when we first read the years new 'Christmas Book' but as Jake was visiting I skipped the stories as 'uncool' (yeah dumb I know!).

Other than that we generally don't have our Christmas lights on till Christmas Eve so I guess that's a tradition... I think it helps build the atmosphere and excitement of the event.

Finally each year on Christmas Eve we go out just before dusk and check out the light displays on local neighbourhood houses just me and the kids (except the year Will was born due to the post Caesar driving ban) when we get home Les has the house lit for Christmas. I would love to have an inconspicuous camera or voice recorder in the car during these trips as the conversations are classic. One year the kids came up with 50 odd reasons why the Santa doubters were quite obviously fools (Merenia still believes, Kieran is a half believer... I know he's real I read his blog). We invariably think that we may just have spotted his shadow across the sky or heard the Sleigh bells which provides an excellent reason to head home at max speed and head quickly for PJ's and bed... I mean after all if 'he' catches you awake you'll miss out on the good stuff!

No comments: