Monday, December 7, 2009

More Food

The first holiday food prompt was supposed to be about making food together as a child with specific recipes. Today's is about favourite holiday foods so I thought I'd present our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Menu;

Christmas Eve

Dinner


A Roast (usually Chicken with Stuffing)
Gravy
Roast Potatoes, Kumara, Pumpkin (and an onion for me)
A vege or two; Broccoli and Corn on the cob
Some sort of nice drink; Appletise or Sparkling grape juice.

Christmas Day

Breakfast

French Toast made with french bread cooked on the BBQ
(we used to do pancakes but this is much quicker)
with cream and Maple Syrup
Bacon
Breakfast sausages
Hash Browns

Lunch

Ham on the bone baked the day before with an orange juice, brown sugar and apricot sauce glaze
Boiled minted new potatoes
Corn on the cob
Green salad with Cashews and Blue Cheese

Pavlova with Cream and Strawberries

Fruit punch to drink

Snacks

We have out to help ourselves small bowls of Cherries, Nuts, Chips and Lollies
And of course most of us have a decent stash of our fave holiday lollies from Santa- Cherry Liqueur Chocolates for me, Milk bottles and scorched almonds for Les and the kids have Chocolate coins and raspberry twists.

Dinner

Oh dear, really do I have to? I'm stuffed to the brim.... leftovers.

**************

The prompt asked; Why do I think holiday foods are so important to our celebrations? Wow good question eh? This is something I have been thinking about a lot on and off this year as a lot of our traditions and celebrations are tied to food and that's not at all good for our (ever expanding) waistlines. I guess it has a lot to do with sharing something we all have in common. I mean everyone eats- unless you have a rare condition where food can't pass your lips- you have to eat. So that's what we do I also think it ties in with the concept of comfort food. The holidays can be quite stressful and I think the idea of sitting together and partaking of some special food is comforting and special. I'm interested to know what others think on this subject in part because I'd actually like to take food out of the occasion for some of our other family celebrations without feeling like we are loosing something special.