Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Decor and other delicious things


Prompt: Write about the significance of at least one item of our holiday decor: This Santa was part of the Christmas Decorations we had as a family when I was a child. I think he kind of sums up the type of environment/atmosphere my mother tried to create for our Christmases. A very traditional old fashioned English Christmas as if we were celebrating in merry old England. There was nothing wrong with our Christmases at all. But there was a certain pressure to have things just so. And there were things that must happen and things that must not. I was given the distinct impression that my mother held nothing but contempt and disdain for those that didn't do Christmas 'properly'. The tree was a classic example- you simply did not have a fake- that would be crass and disgusting. I don't think it's a great way to travel in life as a child especially to look down on other peoples choices and I'm really glad that we aren't putting those same stresses on our own kids. We have our traditions - but they aren't THE traditions that everyone should adhere too. It took a while for me to get used to the idea that we didn't have to have or do 'x,y and z' for it to feel like a 'real' Christmas.


I'm not sure why exactly, but we have a set of Chinese lanterns in our collection that I really love as well. We did have a set as a child and I took them to school for the decorating for the big end of school party that we had in Form 2 (year 8) somebody else decided that they liked them too and took them home. My mother was livid and I got into big trouble. I think they remind me of childhood and they remind me of the Chinese green grocery 'Wing-ons' which was a huge part of our almost everyday life. I've always loved Japan and China and Asian influenced are. And I quite simply love the pictures on the bottom. When I was 12 they were hard to find but here in Auckland 2009 I think they are fairly common and cheap at your average Asian grocer. They are far from the traditional Christmas decorations but they are light and bright and scream spring time and garden parties and summers outdoors to me..... can't you imagine a string of lanterns and fairy lights strung across the trees. In the long grass below and a private picnic for two spread out on a cotton table cloth beneath with colourful salads, bright corn on the cob, a selection of cold meats with delicious cheeses and nuts. Sweet pastel desserts- cupcakes, cookies and ambrosia accompanied by bowls of red and purple berries, watermelon and fresh pineapple and sparkling drinks fizzing and bubbling in early evening calm. With the heady scent of grapefruit flowers, honeysuckle and jasmine filling the warm night air. Of course I'd be wearing a short and floaty floral dress and sitting with my love- I'm sure I know how the picnic would end... but I can't write that here. :-) Picture you and your honey and use your imagination!

The second half of today's prompt is to Remember: In what places, whose homes etc do I remember feeling warm welcomed and loved during the holidays?
Nana's, our own home- especially in Nowra, and Muzz and Sandy's. We also had one really lovely Christmas at Les' sister Kathy's in 1997. Les' family can be hard work- I often feel like I am trying to live up to some standard, especially around his Mum, but also around his cousin and sisters. But this Christmas the first I spent with them was really nice and relaxed Kieran was not quite 6 weeks old and we were staying in the sleep out (they call it the bach) at Les' Mum's we had our own tree and did presents in the bach before heading into the main house with Les' Mum and Dad- it was Les' Dad's last Christmas as it happens. Later that day- I think for lunch we went to Kathy's and stayed the rest of the day outside and inside relaxing and playing games.

No comments: