Saturday, February 6, 2010

Christchurch- Brother, Sister, Dog.

In Christchurch I discovered that I had a teenage brother complete with all the things that teenage brothers have like and affinity for sleeping late, a close relationship with facebook and various other computer things, and a thing for being cool.

This I found completely weird. The last time I was there he steadfastly avoided me because I was always trying to attack him with big sister hugs and affection and we constantly refered to each other as 'Bag'- old or young depending on who was speaking.

I also found that being pretty much housebound with a two year old who spends his afternoons sleeping on me limits opportunities to be the cool big sister- I guess I may have to leave that one to Caits and bide my time till I can be a seriously rocking auntie (I'll be biding a lot of time before that happens of course).


Sam signed Kieran up to facebook which I guess is one of those great things that 'cool uncles' do that isn't necesarily so popular with their siblings. It has provided me with dilemma and a solution to a dilemma. I don't do facebook. Fullstop. Have absolutely no interest in it do not want to waste my precious time on it and would rather speak to my friends and family in person or over the phone. I've seen a bunch of people use facebook now as a cop out for being a friend rather than the real deal and that is so not how I roll.

That said you ever try having a meaningful conversation with a 13 year old over the phone? In fact I think he whole concept is an oxymoron.

So I feel a bit lke Romeo:

"My only love sprung from my only hate, too early seen unknown, and known too late! Oh! Prodigious birth of love it is to me that I must love a loathed enemy. "

In other words I am seriously considering facebook to keep in touch with Sam, Finn, Caits and a couple of other teenagers that I'm very fond of.

I also discovered that I have an almost teenage sister. I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with Finn as I seemed to in the company of Sam. I discovered that she is funny and sometimes silly (in a good way not a dumb way). That she has developed her own particular sense of style and is as much as ever fiercely loyal to her big brother which is, I think, a good trait.

Once again and perhaps even more so I lament the missed opportunity to play the cool big sister with Finn during this visit, but there's always next time, I hope.

Rounding out the trio was mad dog Bently...

A firm favourite of Will's and also a big fan of Chocolate 'Mudge' (which is what Will has in his hand here...)

No comments: