Wednesday, February 10, 2010

6 Sqn Family Day

A couple of years back BB (Before Blogging) there was a family day at 6 Sqn. I'm an introvert by nature and so I generally feel pretty uncomfortable in situations where I don't know anyone but my immediate family. Despite that it was a nice enough day. There was a BBQ Lunch and Kieran and I got to have a flight in a Seasprite which was pretty cool seeing as we have never been in a flying helicopter before. I learned on the flight that with only one door on the copter open there's one seat you want to be sitting in. That was the one opposite mine and Kieran's with the guy who had a direct line (via his helmet) to the pilot and arranged to go take some 'real estate' photos over Glenfield. 5 minutes later I can't tell you how boring that makes a heli flight. It was an ok day and don't get me wrong 6 Squadron I really did appreciate your effort but it pales in comparison when I compare it to the Mark 2 version of 6 Sqn January 2010.

There was something for EVERYONE....


The boys in the Stockley Family (all 3) had a great time.


At this point it's important to make a special mention of 6 Sqn 'Awesomeonics' and in particular the guy on the left in the photo below He spent literally HOURS helping, commentating and pitting for the kids that enjoyed the track they'd set up for the RC car. He had the patience of a saint, the sense of humour of Billy T James, and the skills of a dog track caller... and those guys are good! It was no small thing that he did that day, no small thing at all, and it didn't go unnoticed and it was appreciated for sure.


The fire crew were there... we missed the rides... but got to hang out in the truck.


The dog section guys did a display- this was a particular highlight for me because the guy below has been affectionately known in our house since the base Christmas party as 'Dog Hottie' because he is. And Caesar the Alsatian is pretty darn spunky as well.


And they had not 1...

Not 2.....

but 3 different bouncy castles.


Of course the kids all went on the one big one but it was still pretty cool.
I didn't get picture but they also had a lolly scramble, face painting and a balloon guy who made all sorts of cool stuff Will got a sword and Merenia got two monkeys. They had a nappy changing/baby feeding room (not standard in most RNZAF Hangars) And they had drinks and a sausage sizzle. And the signage was awesome. :-)

Unfortunately Will was too small for the helmets...


So he didn't join me, Merenia and Kieran for the flight...


BOTH doors on the chopper were open yay!

I am in there to the left of that door above and the kids are directly facing it.


The real estate tour was appropriately short enough not to bother the other passenger and it was 'our' estate which made it ALL good for us.





Then we headed into town...




And circumnavigated the Sky Tower.

If you were up the Sky Tower at approx 11:29am on the 23/1/10 and someone in a helicopter did the fingers at you then um, yeah, that was, um, well, kind of, me. Mature eh?


I also got some way cool photos for my change project.


And then we came in to land.
And I have to tell you it was F'in' AWESOME. IT TOTALLY F'IN' ROCKED.

But here's the thing. We can go see Les every day at work if we really wanted to (Well Will does really want to actually, and Kieran would happily live in the Jo Room (they have lollies and Sky TV) ). I know what Les does and the two bigger kids have a pretty good idea and the little kid has enough for his two year old understanding. So to be honest I don't actually think that the family day is really all that important for us... or perhaps it's more that we are not in a position to really appreciate it.


But when your son/daughter is in the Airforce/Navy you don't get a base pass to come visit whenever you want. And there's a good chance he lives at least a wee way away from you and you can't drop in any day you want. And you probably have a general idea of what he does but can't really appreciate it and the impact he may have.
And while it's been made a cliche by the corporate giants at Visa it's true to say that the opportunity to have your mum and dad come on base and experience first hand what you do... to be able to show them round and watch them take off in a Sea Sprite for a very rare 'public flight', that is an opportunity that really is 'Priceless'.

That's what family day is all about.

And I'm glad I get that now and that I can really appreciate it for what it really is.


No comments: