Monday, February 22, 2010

Catching-up

I know it seems like I blog everyday but sometimes I set up posts to go out automatically and don't actually physically write on the blog for a week or more at a time. That is both good and bad. Many blog readers find it frustrating when the posts are few and far between so it's good to have something posting most days. It's good for me to get the memories out there and share pics with family and friends.

On the flip-side if I do that too much then I don't end up talking about what's on my mind and what is happening right here and now. It's late right now so this isn't going to be one of those posts but I wanted to say a quick hello and check in.

Last week we started looking after Baby Jake and had a bunch of other bits and pieces going on so it was at least a very full-on week, at it's worst incredibly frustrating and quite heart breaking. This week has also started on a serious low so I am hoping that we only go up from here on in. I'm philosophical about all this. Life happens and there are worse things.

The thing that has been most on our mind recently is parenting. There are things going on with all of the kids, and there choices and issues for us as parents which are new and very challenging.

I was thinking as I composed the post in my head that parenting is something that we actually don't talk about that much. I think it falls into one of those areas that while it doesn't appear controversial on the face of it it can be really contentious.

From the the time that babies are born there is the whole 'too posh to push' vs. squeeze 'em out au natural and breast vs. bottle. Then there's vaccinators vs. those of us on the lunatic fringe who are going to hell for putting God's children at risk. And then, may you be struck down forever if you deign to proudly share the latest achievement of your darling babe because lets face it you may think your comments an innocent sharing of special moments but all the other parents know it for the 'my-baby- is-better-than-yours' of some hot housing mother. I've even learned recently that there are the them and us's of the home educating world: School at home-er's vs. unschooler's, and Christian homeschoolers vs. those of us who are not expected to enjoy the afterlife.

That is incredibly sad. Parenting is something so many people are or have been involved in. There is a wealth of information and experience out there which is not being shared lest we cause offence or look show-offish. And then there are those who may be struggling with the day-to-day mundane-ness or a bad case of wanna-be super woman syndrome- admit failure? suggest that life is less than rosy? or that a 4kg midget is holding your sanity to ransom?... I don't think so.

So I'm hoping to find time in amongst parenting to actually talk about parenting on the blog. I've got some questions and I may have some answers as well. How about you?

1 comment:

Ruby Gloom said...

oh yes, I totally agree with you here babe, ever since having my main mouse I've discovered there's no guilt like mummy guilt!

why is he on the bottle? why did you let them induce you? why didn't you get him to a pead when he didn't sit, crawl, walk, talk, as fast as everyone elses super baby? (actually, he's still not really talking, but can follow really complex instructions, so I have no worries about his hearing!)

My new philosophy in life is: pick your battles - and so far it's done me well.

And even though I don't feel I would have done ANYTHING differently with Cam, it doesn't mean I won't do things differently with this one! (I've even searched out a midwife who's a lactation consultant, no boob terror for me this time!)
xoxox