Thursday, October 15, 2009

Unconventional Christmas or not?

At this stage we have no plans for Christmas.

Financially a South Island family Christmas is out. Sanity wise a Te Aroha Christmas is out. Our Auckland based family splits in about 6 different directions and friends as far as we know all have their own stuff going on. A couple of years back we swore that we wouldn't do a Christmas of 'just us at home' because it's a little bit like a glorified Sunday with damn good food and some new stuff to play with.

I have always been a bit of a Christmas Traditionalist I don't do blue and pink on my tree I like my wrapping paper and such to be red, green, gold and/or silver- or some combo of. I like to have Ham (used to do Turkey or at least Chicken as well) and punch and other good stuff that was part of my childhood Christmases.

But more and more as I have grown older and our family dynamic has changed I'm willing to be a little less traditional. At 17 my then boyfriends family had sandwiches for lunch at the beach on Christmas day- both of those choices appaled me and not just because Dunedin is notorious for shite weather on Christmas. This year the beach is on our list of options.

The list is pretty short though we've vetoed Merenia's Ice Skating option and Kieran's let's direct my school friend's family to do what we want to do option. So therein lies the question.... any good ideas for Christmas conventional or otherwise?

No comments: