Thursday, October 22, 2009

Best of Days, Worst of Days....

If your name is Kieran S.C.S then yesterday ranks up amongst the best ever in your almost 12 years on the planet;
  • Half a day off school- not to be sneezed at.
  • Burger King for a lunch treat- all good.
  • Attending an All Blacks Training session- excellent!
  • Collecting a bunch of AB autographs on your autograph ball- ecstasy!
  • Having your all time favourite AB/Chiefs player tell you he likes your (Chiefs Shirt) shirt- Nirvana!
If you happen to be the mother of one Will E.A.S then yesterday ranks as one of the most horrifying, gut-wrenching, heart in your mouth, life flashing before your eyes, freakin' awful days ever.

Will fell off the front of the stadium, about 5 foot, onto concrete.

Luckily he was side on when it happened and it was his elbow and hip/thigh that broke his fall. He has a graze and a decent bruise on his elbow and he has chipped both his front teeth.

Douglas track and field has a low and high railing and nothing in between. Naturally we were in the front row and Will was standing right in front of me doing up the clip on his pushchair. I had a light grip on the back of his shirt. He moved to get a better position put his leg over the low railing of course there was nothing but air under his foot so he fell.

If I could play you the movie in my head I could show you in slow motion exactly what it looked like as my baby's sweet body headed for the ground. He let out a cry, I squealed, the crowd gasped. I put down what ever it was that was in my hand and jumped the fence.

Will has already started to get up and was crying so I scooped him up and held him close.

After a short time one of the AB's security guards came over to ask me why I had crossed the line. I told him my baby fell off the wall and he said 'ok' and went back to his post.

After a short time I returned to my seat, Will still crying I gave him a drink he calmed down I checked his head for bumps or sore spots, and looked over his body apart from the elbow all appeared fine. he was perky and wanted to play.

In retrospect I should have asked for medical help. Or I should have left and gone to A & E. But I was in shock so I didn't think. We stayed the hour and a half of the training and the signing and headed to school to drop K off. I didn't realise he had chipped his teeth till I feed him before bed.

With hindsight I know that he was ok and we didn't need to go but I felt pretty bad when I realised how poorly I managed the situation.

Nobody helped me.

There was one lady who asked me when the event was over if he was ok. And another lady was kind enough to carry the pushchair up to the top of the stadium. But when it actually happened not one person asked if I needed help. I can promise you if that were anyone else's kid I would have been a step behind his mum as she jumped off the wall.

This morning I rang healthline because I was worried about his teeth. They said ring the dentist. My dentist said ring the dental nurse. So I rang my old dentist, they said go to A & E so we did. They saw him but said go to the dentist. So I rang the old dentist back and he won't see a child so young. So I rang my new dentist and got him an appointment for next Tuesday- hooray for ACC!

Interesting fact for the day 50% of under 5's will have a tooth related accident.

I have rung the stadium and they are seriously going to look into it. And were very nice!

There are hundreds of photos on the camera- I'll get Kieran to guest blog the more enjoyable highlights of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Gypsy!!!!
I knew he had fallen, but have only just read your blog for th first time in ages.
Reading this particular section has me in tears, I can't believe no one jumped up to help you - and I know you would have helped without flinching. Thats just terrible, it must have been so horrible.
Well, I'm off tissue hunting now, I'm glad he was ok.
Joz.