Thursday, October 8, 2009

Either. Or. 1.

Each day I have two choices.

I can feed Will and put him in his cot. Leave him, walk away from his sad horrified little face. Let him cry for up to two hours because that's the minimum period I think he should sleep for. Then I can spend 2 hours doing whatever I need or want with an un-tired fully coherent brain. I can do it without interruption, without having to provide a diversion that I would most likely need to clean up after. And I can do it with two hands. All the while listening to my own child, not even two years old still a baby to me, scream ad sob and wail and howl. On occasion he may sleep or at least go quiet for around 20 minutes of the 120.

Or.

I can still down on the couch feed my baby and sit for sometimes more than three hours while he sleeps and snacks. During that time I can surf the net, watch tv or a DVD, read and even type one handed. Invariably I will end up needing (desperately) to go to the loo. I almost never achieve anything really important or valuable other than allowing my son the safety and comfort to get the daytime sleep he needs.

What to do?

No comments: