Friday, July 10, 2009

True Confessions

I cry.

Like most people I will shed a tear if I get hurt. If someone I know kicks the bucket passes away. I cried when my cats died. Long ago when I broke up with my boyfriend and other such relationship tragedies I cried. I cried when my children were born. I almost cried when I realised that I had voiced aloud and to Merenia my nice idea for today.

I cried a freakin' river the first time I watched The Green Mile and few smaller tributaries the times I've watched it since. I cry when peoples babies die, or almost die on television. I cry when people are so happy when they reveal their new houses on make over shows. I cried when they put that horse down on The Saddle Club (Merenia didn't).

I cry when I laugh as well.

But here's the thing; this one time when I was about 38 weeks pregnant with Kieran I cried bawled my eyes out, needed tissues (many of) watching an Australia Tourism Board for Canberra. "Oh Canberra! Booo hooo hoo hooo (I never been there) Booo Hooo Hooo Hooo Waaaaaaaaaaahahahaha boo hoo hoo hoo" I think I can let that one pass... just... with the 'excuse' of hormones.

But I have also been known to cry at school in front of the whole school (if they cared to watch) when the kids sing the national anthem at assembly. And if it's a particularly striking rendition with the whole school in the hall, full noise I have been known to REALLY cry. Not a sly tear, wiped quickly away- but more of a red puffy eyes, runny nose, looks of concern from nearby staffers, sort of cry. Shows of patriotism get me going big time- I think I've cried or at least just managed to stiffle a cry at a rugby game. And there's no need to stifle in the comfort of my own home watching the olympics-- a weepfest is no holds barred as those athletes take to the podium.

I cried at a Wiggles concert in Wollongong once. I can only say that I felt just so overwhelmed at the reall passion and pleasure shared by my smaller human counter parts and their skivvy wearing friends.

And so it should have been no surprise to me when I cried today surrounded as I was by mothers and daughters, sitting beside my own, very excited daughter, as the credits rolled up for the start of the movie the tears started rolling down my cheek. And then again in a later scene of dad and daughter bonding, and once more in the triumphant finale where the ordinary girl lives out her dream in an extraordinary world.

I shouldn't have been surprised. I'm a crier for goodness sake, I know this. But in reality I was surprised, very. Even more surprised than I was at the fact I handed over $25 to see the movie at the theatre in the first place.

And so this is my true confession;

I cried at 'Hannah Montana the movie'.

No comments: