Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Brotherly love

I was reading this post by SouleMama in particular this piece...

"Yesterday - one of those long and nutty days of mess and chaos - never really let up. It grew and snowballed all day long until bedtime, when I found myself slinging Harper and reading to the boys. Rocking back and forth amidst the mess on the floor that hadn't been cleaned up from the day, my mind was racing with discouraging thoughts of how the day had gone...and overwhelming lists of things I still had yet to do. And just about then...well, just then I tripped on one of Ezra's colored pencils - banana peel style - and landed squarely on my butt on the floor.

And just as I was deciding whether I was going to cry (and give up) or laugh (and give in), Harper stopped crying. And the boys started laughing.

And then Calvin said this to me:

"Mom. Can you even believe he's here? Like, before he was born, we went more places and stuff. But now? Now we have the coolest person in the world right here! With us! Every day!""

It reminded me of Friday. On his way back to school after camp on Les dropped Fraser and Kieran home. Kieran raced excitedly inside and then was immediately deflated. Will was asleep. He woke up seconds later and Kieran greeted him very enthusiatically! He REALLY missed his baby brother.

It has been really amazing for us to see this boy, who had been so unaware of the thoughts and feelings of others that we sometimes wondered if he may have Aspergers, change and grow into this mature thoughtful and loving big brother. It happened right from day one. I remember a time not long after we had brought Will home when Kieran stumbled out of his room bleary eyed late one night to check on his baby brother who was crying. He was barely awake and it was so sweet. And while he wouldn't give his baby brother a kiss and a cuddle at camp he will unflinchingly reach for a tissue and wipe away his bogeys. The maturity has transferred to other areas of his life as well. I believe he is a much better friend as a result of the relationship he has with Will.

The super cool thing is that it is so freakin' obvious that the love is returned 100% and with interest....



Will adores Kieran, he is Will's idol. He misses him when he's gone and lights up when he comes home. His delight at everything that Kieran does is totally obvious. He plays with him, he laughs with him, he kisses and cuddles, wrestles, and just plain hangs out with him. Any opportunity to gain entry into the hallowed ground that is Kieran's Berdroom is taken up with fervour. Will shows his love by pressing himeself onto Kieran as hard as possible- it's as if he can't express enough just how much he loves him. While I love the fact that they really love each other what I love even more is the lessons they learn from each other every single day.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention Keiran after camp, Brody disappeared at school after camp - before we had a chance to go home. It turns out that he had gone over to Hunter's class to give him a hug and say "HI", I thought that was super sweet.
Joz.