Sunday, March 24, 2013

Story Chapter 12 - These are the days


One of the ways that I get the greatest joys from the story that is my life is by telling the stories of our life together. 
I am blessed to have a cast in my life of many friends and family, and in particular my own 'tight five'~ the lovelies I share my home and my heart with. Through blogging, scrapbooking and a variety of notebooks in which I share tidbits and tales I am the keeper and the teller of our stories. 
It is the day to day stuff of our life, the routines and the seasons that make me happiest. Yes there's the big ticket stuff too- birthdays and first day of school and other such one off events. But it's the everyday that seems to be the most important to capture. It's like a tree- everyday it looks just like the day before. The growth and the change is so slow and imperceptible that you just don't see it. And then a year later as the first buds of spring are coming or the last leaves are falling in autumn you realise just how much it has changed. 
Life is like that too- especially with children in the mix- each day seems the same- same routines, same habits, same mess and always busy. But each day we are changing, growing and moving further from the starting point. The stuff that seems boring and everyday may not even be so a week, a month, a year from now. And the everyday is where we are investing our hearts. The everyday is the soul of our life. If we acknowledge and celebrate it in out stories. We remember and most importantly appreciate what we have now. We can more easily see what we have, see that we have enough, that we are enough- and that our life as plain as it may seem- is actually interesting and worthwhile.

"Capture your ordinary everydays, for tomorrow that may seem extraordinary."

I love the picture in the layout above. When I took it it was just on a whim- just capturing another photo for my 365. I loved it then because it said heaps about my life: what I was driving (Mother-Trucker #1) , What I was reading: (Janet Evanonvich): Where I had been (the base library): Who my travelling companion was (Will eater of the crackers and biscuits you see there)... and there are so many other stories- the handbag containing the lotto slips, the squeegee for my window, Les' sheepskin car seat covers- so many details in one basic pictures. 
When I took it I had no idea that we'd soon be: Leaving the airforce, having another travelling companion, getting Mother Trucker #2 and living in a completely different country- so many aspects of my life each with their own hoard of stories. How cool is that?! One photo of my ordinary extraordinary life- 100+ stories. 

These are stories my kids may never have had the chance to know- Will will hardly remember our life in New Zealand and Tama was two days shy of two months old when we left so he'd know nothing of so much of our family's story if it weren't for the memory keeping I do.

It's so, so cool to have the stories- told, collected and curated- tiny moments, big moments and many in between!

No comments: