Monday, March 18, 2013

Pie Day 2013

Pie day this year was a dismal failure.
It all started when I was driving back home for the school run and the radio mentioned that it was Pi Day. In other words I was totally unprepared. 

We did a quick search on the internet and came up with some options which were really part improvisation part recipe for disaster.

My assistant and I made the base for the sweet pie and I thought it looked pretty good. So I went off to quickly print the recipe we were using for the custard filling.

Turns out my assistant thought it needed a little remodel.

Frozen berries in the base.


Custard.

Fill and bake till it stops wobbling.
And bake, and bake, and bake, and bake and bake some more.

In order for the centre to be cooked the outside should be singed! I liked the filling. Will liked the base. In general I think the pie averaged 2 out of 10... not good.

The savoury pie was Pork that I'd already got out for the dinner I had originally planned. I slow cooked it with various ingredients. And then baked it in flaky pastry.
I think this pie may have scored even lower then the dessert pie.
:-(

No comments: