Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wills Rainbow Art Party The Cake

I have wanted to make one of these cakes for the LONGEST time! And finally the opportunity presented itself.... I unapologetically admit to using a boxed Vanilla cake mix- 3 of them in fact. 

So the process is:
1. Make cake mix according to instructions on box.
2. Split into two bowls.
3. Add a different food colouring to each. I used standard super market food colouring except for Red and violet for which I brought some posh expensive colours because it's hard to achieve a true red and violet without a LOT of standard food colouring.
4. Bake.
Note: Don't use a cake tin like I did. Simply use the big pie dishes lined with baking paper- much easier! I had four and they were easily cleaned to be used again and at the party as well. Also don't go overboard with the violet food colouring.




Then start your stack....


I covered a cheap wooden painters pallet in tin foil to match the theme of the party instead of a cake plate.

The icing I used is called Whip'n Ice. It comes frozen in a 750ml carton. You mostly defrost it and then WHIP it good. It expands to 3 times the volume- that's a LOT of icing. It lasts a long time too which was great for me as I couldn't keep the cake in the fridge.
Shelf life: 12 months frozen
60 days in the fridge once thawed (not to be refrozen)
7 days decorated cakes (refrigerated)
5 days decorated cakes (at room temp)

It tastes fricken awesome!!!


Thanks to the joy of the internet I learned about a 'crumb layer'. That's where you do a thin layer of icing first to stick all the crumbs down and then do your top coat over it.



I am in no way a professional- but I was pretty pleased with this icing job- I brought a new 'proper' spatula for the purpose and seriously wonder why I never did that before!!


Will chose the 'Cars' topper from the internet- they didn't have Dr Who.



 It was GOOD!
 ♥

1 comment:

Ailsa said...

That is a fabulous looking cake! I'm no baker, but your tutorial was excellent. Might have to give it a try sometime.