Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Story- Prologue

Source: Wayfair.com


"No, it's not a very good story - its author was too busy listening to other voices to listen as closely as he should have to the one coming from inside."
 Stephen King

Normally at this time every year I sit down with Ali's List of words and try and see which one 'calls out to me'.  Generally by process of elimination I get it down to between 2 and 5 words which I then sit with to see which fits best what I want from the year. This year in October I read "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller. I was so totally into it about 60 pages in that I wrote one of my best friends to say 'add this to your reading list'! By the end I felt delighted that someone had both represented the way I think about my life and also directed me as to how I want to proceed. I knew about halfway through that the concept in the book was going to big for me. I thought by the end I had my word. I kind of resisted at first because it's not how I usually pick my word- what words was I missing out on? Then various signs and actions presented themselves including someone actually yelling the word in the middle of a podcast at the same moment I was questioning my choice. That was the decider for me- and I ordered the necklace. :-) And set to thinking about: how I feel about my word, what I believe about my word, and what I want my word to add to my life in 2013. It's such a cool word that I think I'll have a hard time leaving it behind when 2014 rolls around. In the meantime I have a few 100 stories to tell both literally and figuratively as I embark on my year of ... Story.

 

No comments: