Thursday, May 16, 2013

Woven


So I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the kids baby clothes. Woven into the very fibres are my memories. The size of their little bodies. The softness, the smell and so many adventures. Specific items bring to mind certain babies- even Saskia is in there. I have got a least one key outfit  in each of their memory boxes- a item that just screams "Will" or "Kieran" or.... And I did manage to move some of it on to the Op shop. But the stack above remained. I don't want to hold onto too much stuff so I came up with a plan, and on my recent day off I started to execute it.

When I went through the stack there were a few more items I realised I couldn't bring myself to use for this project so these went in their memory boxes as well.

Then I cut the rest up.....

  
And now I have a pile of what was the largest square or rectangular piece or pieces I could cut from each item. And some time in the not too distant future I'm going to sew them all together and make myself a quilt. So long after my babies grow up and leave home I'll be able to wrap myself up in the memories of them that I cherish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous idea. Nearly brings a tear to my eye - the thought of snuggling under a quilt made of clothes you snuggled your babies in :) - Lisa