Thursday, March 18, 2010

Duck a l'orange

In our house we have a running joke.

Ask Les what he wants for dinner and he'll say Duck a l'orange and baked alaska.

At Baby Jakes house they have ducks.

They had two big ducks.

Then they had two big ducks and a whole bunch of small ducklings....






And then something bad happened one day after school. (Don't worry it didn't happen to the little ducks).

One Friday I was dropping Nnenna and Jake home after school.
She jumped out.
I jumped out and came around the car to grab Jake out.
Closed the door to find the male duck.
Nnenna took off round the other side of the car FAST.

The male duck is like a seriously over zealous guard dog. I headed around the back of the car as well... but the duck was quicker. I had 3/4 pants and sandals on so my ankles were unprotected. I tried to fight the duck off by whacking it with the baby bag. I was screaming. I slowed it down slightly. Swinging wildly while backing toward the house. In the end I had to leave the bag partially on the duck and run for the stairs. I thought I'd be safe once I got to the stairs and so I slowed down. Big mistake, the duck wasn't going to be stopped by some little old stairs. Candice was at the top screaming for me not to drop the baby (like I was going to drop the baby- um I don't think so) . Nnenna was running out with one of Candice's crutches- not something I could really utilise without dropping the baby so we ran for it literally slamming the door in the ducks open beak.

Candice was furious.

She was ready to let the Simba the Alsatian loose on the duck.

We calmed down. A little.

I snuck out the garage door and went home.

On Monday when I went to pick up the kids.

I asked Candice if they still had the duck. To which she replied;

"Yeah, it's in the freezer."

I know it wasn't my fault but I felt bad.

In the car I asked Kaycee if he was feeling ok about the duck.

He wasn't.

Kieran said;

"What happened to the duck?"

I replied.

"Duck a l'orange'


No comments: