Monday, September 15, 2014

This week on the web

Did you ever write your address as a kid adding in: The Planet Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe? I totally did and I am excited that now I can Laniakea to that list- the name of the super cluster we are a part of.... science rocks.

Talking about kids and science: I am excited to try this no salt, bake-able edible playdough sometime soon with Tama and Will.

I watched Chimamanda Adichie's Ted talk: The Danger of a Single Story because the title caught my eye being a story girl like I am. I am so glad I did! I found light bulbs going on above my head, and thinking, 'yes, yes, yes'. I have so totally been pulled into some 'single stories'- and my kids have too.

Here is an interesting and kind of sad story about a kid, a teacher and a school and ADD... it has a happy ending. But golly I wish there was an easier way. The sooner schools realise that they are there for the child and that a child-centred education means adapting to the child's needs and not the child adapting to the school's the better.... I hope it happens in my lifetime that we recognise that some of things people are calling 'disabilities' are actually just different abilities.

While we're on the subject of schools, the National government in New Zealand and the various state and federal governments over here would do well to heed the information linked to in this article... maybe avoid some costly mistakes- costly to the government coffers and the coming generations of children. Hopefully there really will be a revolution in education! I might actually want to send my kids to school and go back to teaching!
As The Nation magazine reported in 2011: "The research consensus has been clear and unchanging for more than a decade: at most, teaching accounts for about 15 percent of student achievement outcomes, while socioeconomic factors account for about 60 percent."

A rather long and interesting article about why you should stop caring what other people think.... it does have fun cartoons too. The following struck a chord... (don't let the Mammoth confuse you).
I’m a bad person if I disappoint or offend the person/people who love me and have invested so much in me.
No. You’re not a bad person for being whoever your Authentic Voice is in your one life. This is one of those simple things—if they truly selflessly love you, they will for sure come around and accept everything once they see that you’re happy. If you’re happy and they still don’t come around, here’s what’s happening: their strong feelings about who you should be or what you should do are their mammoth talking, and their main motivation is worrying about how it’ll “look” to other people who know them. They’re allowing their mammoth to override their love for you, and they should be adamantly ignored.
Also on Wait But Why....

....I really liked this look at your life in weeks. The comparisons are cool and it puts things into an interesting perspective.

....Life is a picture but you live in a pixel.
As far as what will actually make Jack happier as he lives in his mundane Wednesday, there are a number of scientifically proven things, including spending time with people you like, sleeping well and exercising, doing things you’re good at, and doing kind things for others.

And Why Procrastinators procrastinate and how to beat procrastination. I should really come back to that last one, over and over again.
Because defeating procrastination is the same thing as gaining control over your own life. So much of what makes people happy or unhappy—their level of fulfillment and satisfaction, their self-esteem, the regrets they carry with them, the amount of free time they have to dedicate to their relationships—is severely affected by procrastination. So it’s worthy of being taken dead seriously, and the time to start improving is now.
I made this next one big because it's important and really good.... I would have put it first but I had already read all that other stuff before I read this and I didn't want to mess with my flow. :-)

At Barking up the wrong tree find some Happy thoughts to help you see the real deal with your 'pixel'.

If you are a self taught photoshop user like me you might find Christa Shalin's tutorials handy for giving your photos an little bit of spit and polish.

Just for amusements sake, I liked this very tricky Love letter from a gentleman to a lady. 

My Etsy finds this week:








 
Book Washi tape from Danika58- she has some super cool and very unique Washis! Like these.....

It's possible I may have about $57 worth of her Washi sitting in my etsy cart waiting for a lotto win. That's only 13 rolls!

No comments: