Sunday, April 21, 2013

Story Chapter 16 - A Love Story




Source: Sycamore Street Press on Etsy


One day sometime in 1995 Les placed an ad in the personal column of the local paper. He was looking for a girlfriend- a non-Air Force girlfriend. He met some girls, good, bad, and average. The ad expired.
(This is him then.)
 
One day in March or April 1996 the people who did the personal column pages needed some ads to fill space so they ran Les' ad again.

One weekend in April 1996 I was reading the personal columns in the local free newspaper. I picked an ad I made a call. I listened to the message and I knew. Seriously I knew this was the guy I was going to marry. I left a message.

(This is me then.)

Luckily for me Les noticed his ad was in the paper again even though he wasn't expecting it and he gave his voicemail a call. And listened to the message from me and the one from Melanie (this isn't her story so we'll leave it at that). 

He called me and got the answer phone: "Hi this is the home of Gypsy and Rob (flatmate) ...." he hung up. He tried again and again

On Sunday the 21st called me again. We talked for an hour and a half. 

We agreed to meet on ANZAC day the following Thursday. He came over in the afternoon. We went to Muriwai Beach just down the road from my place and spent some time walking along the beach. As the evening drew in we went around the corner and sat on the rocks and watched the sunset. This is where we had our first kiss.


(Re-enactment 21 August 2011)

 He came over again the next night. And stayed. I had a course to go to the next morning for school and when I got back home I found Hibiscus flowers on my pillow. :-)


 (July 1996)

And that is the story of how we met. But it's really the start of a much longer bigger story that has so far lasted 17 years and is still going strong, most days anyway. :-)


No comments: