Sunday, April 14, 2013

Story Chapter 15 - Shorts


My favourite number is 51. It has been for as long as I can remember. In a pinch I'll use 15, 1 or 5- but 51 is my go to number when I have the option. I think it's kind of weird actually. I mean why? And the answer is I have no idea. 

 *****

When I was youngish I wanted to be a boy. A little Maori boy called Rangi. I get why I wanted to be a boy- boys have so much more fun and boys are so much less hard work to relate to than girls. but why a Maori boy and why Rangi? Once again- no idea. 

*****

I invented my own religion: Mormish. My dad's mum wasn't a Mormon- but I always used to joke that she got sucked in by one of their door-to-door religion salesmen and my mum's family have Jewish heritage. Hence my religion a combination of the two. We of the mormish faith have (had) two religious rituals which I tried to adhere to devoutly. 
  1. Eat soup with a dessert spoon. Eat dessert with a soup spoon.
  2. Never wash or dry cutlery. 
 *****

I used to call sparrows by name. My most favourite sparrow was called Thomas. He had family- parents and cousins and such. Thanks to Dr Google and Mr Wikipedia I've just learned the shocking truth about Thomas. It was my long held belief that we had two types of sparrows in New Zealand. The darker and generally skinnier sparrows were I thought house sparrows- and the lighter and stouter- seemingly fluffier sparrows were hedge sparrows. Thomas was a hedge sparrow. In fact I am now reliably informed that the darker are the males house sparrow and the lighter the female. Thus Thomas was in fact a girl sparrow and I am utterly shocked by this revelation.

*****

For a very long time I believed that me, a little girl in the russian circus and a dog were the only ones in the world called Gypsy. I felt like an absolute individual in my own country. When I was 21 I learned that there was another- she like me was on the dole, banked with Westpac, was 21 and to add insult to injury also shared the same last name: Smith.

*****

When I was quite little I liked to arrange things in ordered lines. I called them Stripe-piles. I still like things to be in a particular order- now we jokingly call it my OCD.... I'm not sure if it's completely a joke.

*****

When ever I read the section in the book Motherstone by Maurice Gee where Susan is travelling across the desert with the blood cat I can hear a track from the New Order album- Brotherhood in my head because that's what I was listening too the first time I read it.

*****

When I was about 9 I lived in the middle of student land. Some friends of ours rented the house next door and I rented them our spare fridge. I'm not sure how it came about but I had a rent book and collected the cash from them on a regular basis.

*****

They also had a large shed that they didn't use. I took it over and called it 'The Hutt' I moved all my books over there and called it the 'Hutt Club Library' I renamed them with all with the Hutt Club logo and loaned them out to members with all the library borrowing trimmings. I expect there were only 3 members of the Hutt Club; myself and my best friends Suzy Duncan and Tracy Esplin (who came and stayed with us sometimes when we could get her released from the children's home). We probably allowed Suzy's little sister Lisa into the Hutt on occasions that we were bored or made too- but she wouldn't have been allowed to be a full member because we were a bit mean like that.



Side note when I was done writing this I searched up Tracy Esplin and found her and sent her an email- I await a reply!

*****

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember right now. :-) This post was brought to you by the letter G and the number 51.




No comments: