Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spot Fires and Finding Rhythm

If I were a journalling sort of person this would all be going down in my diary I guess- but I've never been able to do that sort of writing to myself without feeling like a bit of a dick. There's a risk in placing it here- but this is my space for doing it, so do it I will. It's a bit all over the place and for that I apologise.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment- you can probably see that in both my blogging and lack of creating.

I'm not sure if it's a chicken or an egg thing.

I thrive when I am creative and I haven't had much time for it lately and even less energy. I'm also in that state of having a lot of ideas and projects that I want to do that I'm sort of frozen on the spot- where to start? what to do? how? and most of all when?

Also I set one very specific goal for the month of February and one for March. April is fast approaching and with it another goal and yet neither of the other two have been met. It's hard to keep failing myself day after day, to be letting myself down constantly.

I'm also finding that we are living our lives in such a way that we are dealing with the 'spot fires' while the big bush fire is raging out of control, largely ignored like the proverbial elephant in the room.

We are facing issues with each of the kids- big hard stuff that deserves massive attention and really needs effective and fairly immediate action.

We need to look seriously at what's next for us and what needs to be now for us. Buy a house maybe. Loose weight. Live with intention. Spend more time together engaged in valued activity.

I've lost my passion for photographing and recording our lives both via the blog and creatively. I couldn't care less if I went a week without taking photos- and if you know me you'll know that's pretty out of character.

I used to pack a whole lot into my days. I was one of those busy people who did it all. I'm not saying that I want to be there again- I don't. But I would like to feel some of the satisfaction that comes with achievement.

Overall and on the surface of it I am happy with our life today. We are living in a great place. Les' work isn't too demanding and he generally gets home less 10 minutes later than in NZ. We have enough money to be comfortable at the moment- though things are going to get a bit tighter soon. The kids schools are good enough. The weather is fabulous.

But I'm not really satisfied. 

Part of the solution for these issues and this feeling of discontent that I have is simply getting more sleep and therefore more energy- but that in itself creates an issue in that we lose valuable time for 'doing stuff' if we hit the hay early.And that 'stuff' I want to do it also important to me.

And I really feel like I'm missing some sort of rhythm in my days. I discovered late in 2010 that I really like routine. It sounds bland and boring and well, routine- but it's good stuff and I don't have it. And it's causing me to forget to do stuff. Big stuff and small stuff.... and in particular the small stuff that becomes big stuff. Things like reading to the baby, changing the straps on the car seat. Buying some plants for the garden and a whole raft of other stuff I wish I could tell you but well- I forgot.

There is SO much going on in my head I may explode. Seriously my head might just pop open and words and ideas and thoughts will just spew out and make a mess like high velocity spaghetti splatter after some sort of Bolognaise blow up. Some of it is important stuff like thinking about finding friends, and finding ways to: save money, simplify our lives, and discipline the WILL-ful one without going insane. And some of it is chaff like 'fantasy craft shopping' or dream house plans or the recipe for the perfect home made Frappaccino.

And it's going on all the time like someone is sitting and flicking the channel switch on the remote for my brain. It's distracting and exhausting and makes it nigh on impossible for me to find a flow and a rhythm for my days- to create that routine that I seem to be craving. I come up with great ideas and sometimes even execute them and it works and then my brain moves on. And I take a shortcut because I forgot why I was taking the hard path- and the shortcut ends up being an even harder path and I'm back to square one or worse.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm LUCKY. I have a great life. I have an awesome husband. I am fortunate to have my children. To have enough money and a great place to live. I am blessed to have one super huge stash of creating goodness and a space to use it. I'm lucky to be experiencing life in a whole new place. I have wonderful friends who are still very much present in my life despite being 5 hours ahead of me at all times.

I'm just not rocking this super life I have been blessed with, and that is doing it a huge injustice.

I'm happy keen to hear your thoughts on this.

Gypsy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet heart - I think you sound depressed.

The Keine lust is the big giveaway for me.

(((((hugs)))))

Unknown said...

OMG we are living the same life. I know exactly what you mean because I think I am living every moment of every minute of every day the same way.
I understand completely your sense of frustration and dissatisfaction (dare I say it) with yourself (or myself as the case may be) despite being happy and satisfied with how life in general is going.
It's like I am constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and even though I know it won't fit, I seem to think (and I don't know why) that I have these super powers that will just somehow magically make it fit. I need to either change the peg or change the hole but every time I start looking for either a new peg or a new hole I end up going off on a tangent because I'm not really sure if I'm ready to look or change or face the reality that I'm not ready to look or admit I'm not superwoman.
We need to find our sparks and maybe change the dodgy battery in the suspect remote that someone else is using on our minds.
Oh and I love the imagery of the spaghetti... it may me snort out loud... good thing I wasn't eating at the time!!
Love to you... and trying to send some spark in your direction. You know I am here if you need me xxx

Gypsy said...

I'm pretty sure I know what depression looks like on me and this is not it.

I had to google Keine Lust and then read the english translation of the Rammstein song- oh my goodness- big animals! :-)

I'm just a little lost and out of Sync with my life.

I thought it might relate to moving and not getting into routine yet. But I think maybe it has more to do with life changes than specifically moving places. Especially as there is a lot of energy and momentum in the midst of the change. I feel like I'm in the bit at the end of the day when you sit down exhaustedly on the couch and don't know whether to go to bed, read, watch telly or surf the net- but you're too spent to make a decision.

Miss Wendy said...

Hun, i feel you, i too am out of sync, happy day to day (mostly) but something is not quite right ;( and not sure how to fix it ????? On the upside, got great mail today, thank you xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Gyps, maybe a trip to a kinesologist for a balance may help. When Im out of sorts and not "me", a trip to Tessa for a balance returns me to usual self. And we have had unbelievable results, think Sam and his weekly poo nappy about now ewww!!! The kids and I generally get balanced twice a year unless there's major stress so over the last few years its been a bit more but it has helped us hugely and the difference is remarkable. And often overnight for us but Tessa has said we are very respondent to balancing. Be nice to yourself, your life is very full on. Take care, love ya XXX Syl

Anonymous said...

Check out Touch for Health, thats what Tessa is involved with. S

Anonymous said...

Hey old friend,

I'm not sure what to say, I'm not sure what I could say that would help, I just wish I knew the words.

You always seem to be able to help others, you're always there for others - the others want to be there for you too ... it's just a tricky thing you need help with.

I hope you find your special thing soon, something to fill that void.

We all miss you <3 Take care, keep thinking of yourself - you'll get there :o)

Joz.

Carrie said...

I was a bit behind in keeping up with all blogs, but Wendy was up at the end of last week and I was telling her how I felt a bit lost and sort of isolated, which of course is crazy giving being surrounded by so many people right? But anyway, she asked if I had read your blog post, as it so reflected a lot of what she was feeling as well and here I was stating some of the same. So I guess we are not alone in feeling all out of sorts. I think I too am lacking some sort of structure to my days and get lost in the bits of this and that, just trying to keep my head above water it feel like and don't feel like I actually really ever finish anything. I have been feeling constantly tired, because I stay up so late trying to cram so much in, yet arrive at the end of the day feeling I haven't accomplished much. I have such a huge guilt list! So, my plan now is to sort out what I actually want to do - I mean I have items on my guilt list that I don't actually want to do (mainly items for other people), so I might just give some of those back and clear the slate a little, try and accomplish the things I do want to do from the list and work harder to avoid putting unnecessary items on there in the first place (say no to people more). I also need to set aside time to be creative. I haven't done a layout since October Scrapbook Retreat - OCTOBER!!! As for any ceramic pieces - must be well over a year now. Considering the space, tools and supplies I have for both of these, it's quite ludicrous really.
I too and relatively happy I think, home life has been so much better lately, the kids are both doing well, I see positive changes in Jayden, Taryn is a pretty darn good kid and Mike and I are probably the closest we have been for many years, but there is still something missing.
Could be the weather or something in the water as they say, but who knows. If I ever get to know, I'll let you know too. In the meantime I think we need to slow down and focus on what is important and work out what we really want and need to achieve, rather than trying to achieve it all. Hopefully we'll all get over this wee hump as well. Love you and miss you xxx