Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A year ago today...

We all have our where were you when stories... this is mine.

I had dropped Will off to his fourth ever day at Kindy and come home to find out from Les that there had been another big earthquake in Christchurch.

I turned on the TV and felt the wave of sickness roll over me. I sat stunned at the images of the CTV building, Pine Gould Guinness and the Cathedral for a few minutes and finally went to get my phone. I texted my Dad, Mum, brother and sister all simultaneously.

"Are you all ok?"

It was 35 long minutes before Sam texted back.

Sam: Who is this?
Me: It's your big sister? Is everyone alright?

20 more long minutes.

Sam: Gypsy or Caity?
Me: Gypsy you dork. Can you just tell me are you, Mum, Dad and Finn ok?

25 more long minutes.

Sam: Oh yeah, we're all fine.

I talked with Sylvia later that evening on the phone. They had no power and no water and my dad was still at work. With no power they had no images of the devastation in the city and no real concept of how major it was. I tried to explain, there really are no words that convey those images. But I think the emotion in my voice probably was the best indicator.

Everyone has their own stories. Mine has a happy ending. For many, many others, including my family, the story is ongoing. It's those people I am thinking of today. I love you.

No comments: