Thursday, February 16, 2012

I've always wanted to write a Manifesto


And now I have! I took Leo's Simple Living Manifesto and modified it for my own life. It's long and not particularly Simple and I can see the irony in that but most of it is stuff I already know/practice but just want to be more mindful of. It also helps me focus more on my word for the year: Simple.

Manifesto for a Simple Life

The 5 most important things.
·        Family
·        Home
·        Health and Well being
·        Me- relax, fulfil, think.
·        “Wealth”

Simplicity Statement.
·        I spend quality time engaged with my family in a positive and fun way.
·        My home is relaxing, welcoming, peaceful and a place where we enjoy living.
·        I am eating well and moving daily.
·        I spend time each day doing what I love: creating, reading, writing, thinking and relaxing.
·        We are creating wealth by being content with and using what we have.
  1. Commitments- Keep it as it is now.
  2. Use time wisely.
·        Switch Off
·        Slow down
·        Routines and habits
·        Get sleep
  1. Simplify home tasks.
·        Routines
·        Delegate
  1. Say no. (Don’t take on any outside scrapbooking, for anyone!)
  2. Limit communications. Switch off. Set a schedule and stick to it.
  3. Limit media consumption Switch off. Set a schedule and stick to it.
  4. Purge  stuff. Be mindful of the unneeded.
  5. Declutter digitally. Be mindful of the unneeded.
  6. Limit my buying habits. Stay home. Be organised. Keep lists. Wait and think.
  7. Free up time. Switch off.
  8. Do what I love. Create, Play, Read, Write and Think
  9. Spend time with people I love. Play, talk, teach, sit.
  10. Spend time alone.
  11. Eat slowly.
  12. Move slowly. Each day remember: there is no hurry.  
  13. Be present. Keep my thoughts on the present.
  14. Streamline my life. Routines and Habits. Stay home.
  15. Create a simple system for house work. Clean-as-you-go, 30 minute burst cleaning, and ready-for-bed house.
  16. Maintain routines. Planning and timetable.
  17. Live frugally. Want less, buy less. Use more.
  18. Know what “enough” is. We have enough.
  19. Eat healthy. Fresh, simple.
  20. Exercise. Daily. Together if possible.
  21. Maintain inner simplicity. Think. Relax. Keep thoughts in the present. Be mindful.
  22. Create. Write. Make. Cook.
  23. My only goal is to live well.
  24. Retain Composure. Pause, breathe, consider, act.
  25. Live life more deliberately. Do every task slowly, with ease, paying full attention to what I’m doing.
  26. Make a Most Important Tasks (MITs) list each day. Set just 3 very important things I will accomplish each day.
  27. Create morning and evening routines.
·        Muck in
·        Clean and clear
·        Time together
  1. Always ask: Will this simplify my life? If the answer is no, reconsider.

No comments: