Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I'm not writing about what I love.

I've just been reading my own blog. In particular the posts tagged with "Children's Books". Those are some good posts- because I'm writing about what I love! I started reading them because I want to write a book review good enough for the World's Strongest Librarian to put it on his blog.

I found the blog via Ali Edwards Creative Lifts email newsletter on the weekend and oh my what goodness lies amongst it's pages... who knew that Kettlebells could be so interesting? Not me that's for sure. I love his posts on creativity. I'm looking forward to reading the whole series on Tourette's- which my grandfather was aflicted with. And the Dewey Lunatic Project reminds me when I read the Dunedin Public Library Children's section from A to Z (just the novels not the picture books). I have to say I am totally enamoured by the guy. I love the way he thinks, I love what he thinks about and I just love that he stops and thinks. He thinks about all the thinks you can think. Not just everyday thinks and what is that stink thinks? Not what is for dinner thinks or shall we have drinks thinks. He thinks, he thinks, thinks thinks thinks!

Me too! Oh my goodness, I am thinking things all the time! My mind is full of thinks, today I have thought about:
  • Clouds in Perth their astounding variety and impactful presence. Perth doesn't just do clouds. Perth does CLOUDS Baby CLOUDS!
  • I designed the ultimate beach house for down behind my Nanas crib so the family can go stay hang with Nana but not get in her face- she gets GOLS- Grumpy Old Lady Syndrome.
  • I figured what I would most want to pack in my bags if I was to go work in a Thai Orphanage for a couple of weeks.
  • I thought about classical music and how you could design a CD series that could take you through a day (in particular a school day) with the right types and tempos of music for everything you do.... upbeat for clean-up, soothing for reading time and so on.
  • I thought about a huge list of reasons I am a great resource for Wills teacher. 
  • I thought some more on my top ten things to do before you leave Auckland.
  • I wrote the better part of a blog post on starting scrapbooking in my head. 
  • I thought heaps about curiosity and how it is the 'Wonder of wonder'. 
  • I thought of a bunch a cool status updates for Facebook that might inspire people to have a better day.
  • I thought of a cool one day project where you set you alarm to go off every hour from the time you wake up and when it does you stop and notice something above, below or beside you that hadn't already been in your frame of reference before that. Then you could blog it or facebook it as a way to share and remember it.

 And a whole bunch more that I can't  recall right now. And after all that thinking I read Josh's post about wanting some more people to write for his blog, especially book reviews. And I pulled out the books that I'd like to review. And then I looked back through my blog at what I had already written about them and I read what I wrote and how I wrote it and I realised I'm not writing on this blog about what I love, or if I am I'm not writing it in a way I love. I'm editing for normality.

What the heck?

When did I decide that the blog needed to make me look normal? Why did I decide that my voice should sound normal? I laugh in the face of normal, I've never harboured any desire to be anything even remotely like normal. I pride myself on the absolute abnormality of my brain and my thinking. And yet here I am being boring and normal and looking boring and normal everyday on my blog. Seriously. I may look like a house wife and mother of 5 living in suburbia on the outside- but on the inside I'm far from it. And now with that realisation in my head I hope to return to my irregular programming as much as possible from this point on. I can't say that I'll take the time to write like me every day and I'm keeping my three easy long weekend posts because I need my time for thinking, creating, adventuring, and exploring the world with my both my mind and with my little boys (and the big kids too some days) and I need time with Les and I want my life to be Simple.

And I want my life to be simply amazing.

Love, Me.

Oh and by the way I'm going to try and write that book review, even though the idea of it makes me nervous as hell- even though I'm awesome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just so we're clear on this... you are SO not normal!