Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ma'a Nonu thinks my son can get the girls

The Rugby Union in an effort to look cool I assume sends out texts each year supposedly in the language of it's followers. Last year I got one from Ritchie McCaw and this year it came from Ma'a Nonu....


"Sup Kieran, Ma'a Nonu hea. Hope yr playn rugby agn dis czin. Evry registrd rugby teen cn win awsm prizes via randomrugby on FB. Rugby-  it's what we do! Skux"

Now admittedly some of the boys on my team last year sent me texts and sometimes even spoke out loud in very similar manner to the texts' delivery. But not all of them.... and I think it's up to the more responsible adults among us, Ma'a included to model appropriate english  and spelling to our kids.

But that's not what I take issue with.... it's that last little word.

Skux.

I simply don't understand what they're saying. I had to google it. And even then it just doesn't make sense. It's not an accepted form of farewell in slang. Translated it just doesn't work. Essentially what Ma'a is saying is:  

"Rugby-  it's what we do! Guy who is great at picking up women."

Weird.

I assume Ma'a is talking about Kieran here and not himself... because if not then his wife won't be too happy (Is Ma'a married?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats his nick name! Cool as he took the time to do that i wouldnt be complaining thats forsure.