Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hatching Fun!

I don't have all the needed photos for this post but I have had it hanging around waiting for me to finish for ages so I figured I'd just get onto it.

This started as an egg....

Which we put in water. And observed closely.

Eventually the egg started to crack...
And then a wee dinosaur hatched out.
Of course this is where I should have some more pics. You can also get these 'growing creatures' just as they are (sans egg) you place them in water and then watch them expand over a period of about 48-56 hours.
It's cool too:
Trace around them before, during and after.
Weigh them before, during and after.
Talk about what they feel like before and after.
Talk about what is happening and why.
Find out some more about your creature (and others like it).
Talk about what would happen if you left it in the sun... maybe make some guesses as to how long it may take to get small again- if indeed it does.

(It does and then you can do it all over again at various intervals... and it seems it's always quite exciting and interesting- even to 12 year olds for whom it is old hat!)

No comments: