Thursday, April 29, 2010

Brandy Ice Cream

When I was little we had this recipe for something that we called 'Lucerna Ice Cream'. Lucerna was a restaurant that one of my aunties worked at and they made this incredibly rich amazingly delicious ice cream. I seem to recall it has like 12 egg whites and lots of cream and Brandy in it.
I did ask my Aunty to see if she could get a copy from my mother for me (we don't speak- long story- guess I just don't really do all that well at relationships with women) of course being the kind and loving mother that she isn't she wouldn't give it- or the recipe for Red Hot Potato Salad or Cinnamon Honey Parfait.

Anyway over the summer one of my garden e-letters had a recipe for Brandy Ice Cream which had been passed down through a Mosgiel familyfor generations- the connection to Dunedin was what cemented my plans to try it out in the hopes that it was like Lucerna Ice Cream.

Beat 3 Egg whites.



Then add 1/2 Cup of Castor Sugar.
Beat as for a Meringue- in other words beat it to within an inch of it's life- so that it stands up to salute when you pull the beater out. (So glad I have an electric beater- one day I'm going to have a flash cake mixer flasher than this little red head one).





In a separate bowl beat 300mls of cream until it holds it's peak.



Fold the cream into the egg white mixture.



Add 3 T of Brandy or Brandy liqueur.



...and mix...



Then freeze it in a container of your choice.



Have your kitchen assistants do the dishes....



And enjoy!



It's not quite as rich and delish as Lucerna Ice cream but it pretty bloody good anyway!

No comments: