Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Breaking the Habit of a night time


So I had intended when Les left that I would sort out Will's sleep habits or should that be sleep bad habits. I figured that with one less person in the bedroom it would be one less person to wake up and also I had been trying to be kind to Les with all the extra hours he was working.

I did try in the first couple of days and was thinking I was the bees knees as in the space of 3 nights we'd got down to two drinks (I'm aiming for one). But then with all the late nights watching the screen for the results to come up I wasn't really in any mood to be doing battle with little baby Strong Will.

So what am I up against; Will goes to bed between 6 and 7pm which is lovely. He settles himeself to sleep which is something I have never had a Stockley baby do. The other two both liked to be fed and or rocked to sleep. Then Will wakes up at at least 3 if not all of the following times. 10:30pm, 12:00pm, 2:30pm, 4pm, 5am and then he wakes up generally around 7am though it can be anywhere between 6:30 and 8am (he likes to sleep in on the weekends :-) ).

So I have practically no idea how I am actually going to tackle this but I am about to embark on it tonight.... I am hoping to cut down to one feed around 3am- according to all the books he should be able to sleep through now... but I am not worried about that the other 2 used to have one feed each night till they were a year old... and that's cool with me.

So I will not feed him until after 2am and then I will not feed him again before 6:30am. I know that he is not cold, or uncomfortable in anyway... I do worry that he's a bit scared of the dark- I'm not kidding here. I'm also going to try and do all this without a dummy. The ultimate is that I won't have to get up... worst case scenario is that I will have to get Will up and rock him to sleep and sing Busy Bees far too many times.....

.....Buzz buzz buzz he hums as he goes
gathering pollen from the lovely rose.....

All the websites and the books that I have bothered to read talk about teaching your baby to self-settle but other than Cry-it-out (CIO) I am yet to find out how EXACTLY you are supposed to do this... as I am not a fan of CIO this leaves me kind of stuck.

Wish me luck....

.... whoops. Did I mention that he's a light sleeper... I just went in to see if I could snap a picture of the sleeping boy for this post and he woke up because of the sound of the camera servos.... so I tried shushing... and I have now failed on two counts as I put the dummy in and he is crying as I type... gotta run. Bugger bugger bugger...

z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z?z

No comments: