Monday, March 2, 2015

This week on the web....

I want to make these cool dinos in ice... we usually do them in an ice cream container this would be pretty cool too!

This week Teacher Tom wrote two posts entitled "A Great Teacher Is A Great Artist" The second one is here. There were lots of good parts but I specifically loved this quote:
"The way we do it now, making math and literacy the core around which everything else revolves, is like spending 13 years learning how to use a hammer without ever actually building anything."
The Diet Doctors post on Conference Food was a great reflection of the current issues in dietary advice from the so called experts and government bodies and the ground swell of sound science based advice coming up.

Depression is not a mental illness was a good read. (It's a physical one) I liked this quote:
"The media, bless 'em, do their best to paint any form of mental illness in a positive light. Explaining that depression, anxiety, addiction and anything related to those three are now legitimate diseases that deserve the same respect and attention as anything physical.
Well thanks but the last I heard, the brain was a part of the body, and a damn important one at that."
Don't 'wait and see' is the Low-carb RN's advice on a pre-diabetes diagnosis.

This post from Teacher Tom left me in tears because he's about the only grown-up I know smart enough to read a novel (Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury) to pre-schoolers because they asked him too. It reminded me of one time when I read an article to my year 7 & 8 class at Waimauku about issues with children in Bosnia or somewhere like that- it was the most captivated they ever were.

I really want these....

 Periodic table washi in black... no idea what I'd do with it but I don't care.


One day I will own something by Helen Dardik... this one is a contender but it's so hard to choose.

And finally in honour of Leonard Nimoy...

Live long and prosper.

No comments: