Thursday, March 27, 2014

Around my garden


This is my view when I'm sitting on the couch or at the computer in the evening. It's my favourite in the house. At sunset it's just beautiful!

 Pink Hibiscus

A chance discovery.

  Cream Hibiscus

 We have this super awesome tree in our backyard. I think it may be a Magnolia but I have yet to confirm it. It has that great sitting spot in the middle of the trunk.

 
Close up of the leaves and buds?

 We also have a massive Eucalyptus too.

Bandicoot tracks.

This is my second favourite view! Love all these massive mature trees.

These is the least favourite view. The fence is around the septic tank which was put in the second half of 2013 before we lived here. In the process they trashed most of the lawn leaving a dusty sandy wasteland. There's a patch of barely coping lawn under the washing line. (I am in LOVE with having a hills hoist again. I never realised just how small the old line was until I hung 3 loads and still had room for more up here). There are two Frangipani trees by the line as well. I think a lack of water will prevent them from flowering this year- but hopefully next. And the larger one has a grape vine on it but the 28's got to the grapes before we did. Hopefully come April when the weather is cooler we'll get this area sorted into nice green lawn.... at least we won't have anything to dig out... except the roots of the tree that was in the spot the septic now sits.

 More tracks in the sand.

I have no idea what these are either but they grow where you think nothing can and they are lovely!

Spider wasp with a wolf spider.

This huntsman spider was in my laundry cupboard but now resides outside... unless a spider wasp got her. And yes I know she's a she. Because the day after we kicked her out around 100 of her babies hatched in my laundry!



We had a bunch of Juvenile Kookaburras in the yard in January- gorgeous and loud!


A New Holland Honey Eater. These little orange flowers are on a plant that is actually growing on the gumtree an Epiphyte I can't find the name of.

These guys abound in the yard. We sometimes go on a 'lizard walk' late afternoon and find upwards of 10 of them around the place sunning themselves on the rocks and fences.


Bougainvillea


28 Parrot eating the buds and flowers on the gumtree at the front of the house.

Gumtree flowers.

One of the things I am excited about seeing in it's prime next spring is the Jacaranda Tree out the front- in full bloom they are spectacular!

A bark super highway for ants... it looks pretty cool in real life.

We have an Olive tree in our back yard as well. Once again the lack of water means a small crop of fruit this year- it will be interesting to see it next year.


We found this little Gecko in the back paved area and moved him to the other side of the house so as to protect him from the works that were coming. About a week later I accidentally stood on one in the backyard (they only come out at night). He took off up the wall but dropped his tail before doing so which I was fairly upset about- and grossed out by. They are designed to do it in times of threat- but I didn't expect the lost tail to keep wriggling around on the ground. I felt terribly guilty. He's called a Marbled Gecko. We found one on our bedroom wall one night as well.


We've been putting seed out for the birds too. We get these '28' parrots, magpies, and some super pretty (and shy) Doves.

 

No comments: