Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Books

(Source: JeffPhotos)

Our Christmas Books spend 11 months of the year packed away in a plastic crate in the garage. I get them out at the end of November and bag up 25 of them as a sort of book advent- we try and make sure to read one a night. I have way more than 25 of them so the rest go in a basket for us to look at and share when ever....


Each year I add at least one more book to the stash. These are my selections for Christmas 2013....


 Christmas Wombat by Jackie French and Bruce Whatley

I picked up this one at the Scholastic Sale without even reading it- and then brought it again a couple of months later for Ehren. Then I read it and though.... "ooohh this is cool we should buy it!" Luckily I didn't because it was hiding in my Christmas stash. Definitely my favourite of this years books. The Wombat is charming and funny, much like the illustrations. If you like Diary of a Wombat then you'll like this too. I guess it's more suitable for the under 8's.



 I wish Santa Would Come by Helicopter by Amanda Haley
 I picked this one up online because I have some helicopter loving boys. The illustrations are lovely but to be honest I think the story is just ...meh.


Another Night Before Christmas by Carol Ann Duffy

 I'm absolutely terrible for buying a book for it's covers- and that's exactly what I did here. But I am happy enough with my purchase- it's a modern take on the Night Before Christmas. And I guess it could almost come in the Sophisticated Picture Book Genre. I LOVE the illustrations and am trying to figure out how I can incorporate them into my Daily December Album.






 On my wish list for next year is this one: The Empty Stocking by Richard Curtis. We recently got it out of the Library and it's a nice story with a lovely message- about sharing and caring about others- and doing the right thing.

If you want some more ideas for books for Christmas or gifts I have lots of reccomendations here:


No comments: