Sunday, November 24, 2013

Story Chapter 47- the list

 

Oh my! This week my plan was to go over the list of resolutions I made towards the start of the year and see how I went with a view to planning and fine tuning for next year. I have already come up with my word for next year and have some plans in place for what I want to do to honour/live it. And I can see looking back over these how they will compliment my word. But as for how I went with these.... oh dear.....

1. Order: Practice habits that serve your routine. Let routine guide your days. Strive to maintain order.
I didn't do too badly on this one. I kind of move in fits and starts. Next year I'd like more consistency. More buy in from the other members of my family and more routine/planning for the weekends. Also need some better routines for the day time with Tama- we end up doing a lot of the same stuff- and we have so much good stuff at home and beyond we could be taking advantage of- it's a bit of a waste.

2. Tranquility: Speak and act calmly and with patience not only to those around you but also to yourself.

Actually pretty good- I get a bit lax when I'm tired but I think I get a tick for this.

3. Moderation: Give your attention to many things each day. But only one at a time.
I spend a lot of time each day trying to get stuff I want to do done around getting stuff for other people done. As a result I do neither thing well and find life can be pretty frustrating because of that. I need to shift my focus and also look at things from the perspective of: what is important to do, what I can do, and doing it well. I'm also really bad on the computer I will stop mid stream to check my mail or facebook. I really need to just close those up- full stop.

4. Silence: Speak only well of yourself and others- do not allow yourself to be pulled into gossip.


This one I do well. It's a pet bug bear of mine both gossip and also speaking ill of people. My one bad area is criticising people on TV in front of the kids- it's not the example I want to set.

5. Communicate: Speak openly and explicitly your love to those that need most to hear it.

Yeah not so good on this one.

6. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

Arrggghhhh. I don't waste.... but I do have a lot of scrapbooking stuff to use up.

7. Industry: Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.

This is the one resolution that isn't right and won't stay like this on the list for next year. Sometimes you just need to do something that isn't particularly useful to anything but your peace of mind and sometimes you need to just do nothing or watch Survivor.

8. Temperance: Eat and drink only that will sustain you best.

Nope. No way. Terrible.


 
9. Gratitude: Be mindful of your blessings. Appreciate and celebrate them.

Yes- I get a tick on this one- I can do it even better and that's on my list as a priority for next year- but I definitely do this consistently if only in my head.





10. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.

Nope again- see 8. :-)
 
11. Adventure: resolve to explore and discover your own corner of the world.

Yes- but once again I can up this a bit- and I want to get my family more involved too.

12. Kinship: Communicate with those for whom you care and care for you.
Not so much- this has been a tough one this year. I think there's so much communicating going on at home that when I have a spare moment I am more interested than silence that making calls. That said I speak to both my Grandmothers at least once every 6 weeks or so. And I have a postcard mailing campaign with my sister.

13. Prioritise: Put that first which deserves your attention most. Let go of that which does not serve your life.

Yes- there's still more to do and I already have plans in place. But yes I've given up a few plans and dreams and ideas this year that just weren't a priority- or I've changed my plans to do 'good enough' things in place of previously grand (time consuming) plans.




14: Generosity: Be generous with your time and effort share it with the members of your community that most deserve it.

Getting better!

15. Honesty: Be honest at all times with yourselves and others.

Getting better.

16. Be Present: Think not so much of the past except to learn from your mistakes. Dream not of the future in extremes but in real possibilities. 

Yes and no. Less dwelling on the past. Less dreaming of unreachable futures. But not enough being in the moment. That's the big goal for next year. Life is happening right now- and that's where my head needs to be too.

 ♥

 

No comments: