Sunday, June 16, 2013

Story Chapter 24- So not ready for this...

Two things happened last week which left me totally conflicted. On one hand I was in shock and yet pleasantly surprised. And on the other hand I was in shock and feeling like a 7 year old with a new two wheeler bycycle.....


Not just any 7 year old.... my seven year old back in 2004. Whom after pulling back the sheet that was covering his brand new bike dropped his hands by his side, dropped his head and said: "I'm so not ready for this".

Let me start with the good stuff first (it's all good really). Last Tuesday I went into Kieran's room to find some washing in an effort to make up a load. What confronted me was a bunch of wet towels and a population of dust bunnies who were about to go on strike due to over-crowding.

So I cleaned up his room.

You have to understand I've done this in the past and there's a procedure that results....
1. Forewarn Kieran in the car on the way home.
2. Listen to grumbling.
3. Stony silence.
4. Kieran races inside to check out the 'damage', not stopping to help Will out of the car or anything considerate.
5. He sulks for the remainder of the day.

Last Tuesday I followed step 1.

And then he said: "Thanks".

I checked to make sure that I had brought the correct kid home from school. I had.

I was quietly thankful- the less fuss the better where Kieran is concerned.

He went happily about his day.

Awesome. He's growing up. Really, really maturing. I'm so very proud.

The next day he went to a careers expo. And in the car on the way home he was telling me his tentative plan........



He wants to do engineering. He's hoping/planning to go to the Defence Force Academy.

In Canberra.

In Canberra, ACT.

In two and a half short years my boy my precious first baby boy is planning to leave home and go to university. 

Not just any university.

A university totally on the other side of the country.

For four years.

To be honest I remember seeing the mothers on the likes of the Doctor Phil show who were about to be or had just become empty-nesters. They were all cry baby and pathetic and I was thinking: "Are you kidding me? Kid leaving home, after 18 years Yippppeeeee!"

And now I'm almost there.

When you have a family of six especially  a family with an almost 2 year old and a five year old the days are L-O-N-G, really long! But those 2.5 years they are going to race by. Those 2.5 years are going to be SO short. And before I know it Tama will be full time at school and Kieran will be gone.

Gone.

I'm so not ready for this.

 
15 and a half years, seriously?
Where did it go.

No comments: