Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Flamingo and Me

Image by Axiom Photographic

Each year I choose a symbol to go with my One Little Word. Last year it was a light bulb and this year it's a flamingo. I was recently listening to an episode of the podcast Every Little Thing which was all about the Flamingo.. in fact the host was advocating for the Flamingo to be used as a Mascot. The things that stuck in my mind were the fact that some Flamingoes live in water that freezes over night and they are capable of surviving standing with their feet frozen into the ice. Some Flamingoes live in places with hot water mineral springs and are able to safely drink practically boiling water. Flamingoes are quite uniquely weird in that they need to eat with their beaks upside down. The flamingo's top beak functions like the bottom beak of most birds, and vice versa. Flamingos are among the very few animals that are able to move their top jaw while eating. I also love that you know if a Flamingo is looking after itself because it gets it's pink feather colours from it's food... they start out grey and then they flourish! :-)

I picked up a couple of stamps on Etsy to use this year for my OLW project... the little one above is my version of gold stars this year... I like getting gold stars! And this one below which is a layering stamp will be for bigger things. I am excited to figure out how best to use it and what colours will work best for the layers.
 ♥

No comments: