Sunday, September 15, 2013

Story Chapter 37 - 365 Questions


Am I? Should I?
 


I have this project that I have been working on this year it's called a 5 year journal. I'm doing it in a 2013 Diary with a full A5 page for each day of the year. Each day has a different question and each day you go to the page for that date and answer the question. You try and keep it for 5 years- and I expect it will become a pretty cool resource both for observing change and growth, reflection, and of course memory keeping. You can read more about it here on debbiehodge.com. (If you scroll to the bottom you can find links to all 365 questions). On Friday I spent some time putting the questions for the rest of the year into my diary. Some of the questions are fairly inane: price of milk/petrol, last text message you got, last movie you saw. Some of them are a bit more complex and challenging.

The thing that struck me is that I already know what some of the answers will be. And in many cases they're not answers I like or am particularly happy about. For example: Are you holding a grudge? or My body is.....

In some ways that's a good thing I am having it quite clearly pointed out to me what areas of my life I need to improve. But I also feel overwhelmed with just how many things I need to improve- and the ones that I can't really improve upon because they're beyond my control. It really gets me thinking.

I hope that in 5 (or even 2 or 3) years time I will have less of the negative responses and more positive ones. And that the questions I am asking myself now will help me live a better story later. That's if I can keep track of the bad answers- and find the time to work on them all. 
Some days I think it'd be better just to live each day. But then I get to thinking about that saying that goes something along the lines of "A year from now I will have wished I started today". Knowledge is power and all that.

No comments: