Sunday, September 8, 2013

Story Chapter 36 ~ Is sharing our stories a human imperative?

 

I started thinking about this question recently because I was worried about the amount of lame and random stories about the kids that I share with the teachers in Will's class. I realised that I do it with them because they are the only people outside of family that I see on a truly regular basis. I wondered if this need to tell stories is limited to certain types of people.

 And then I got this quote through my email....

Storytelling is how we survive, when there's no feed, the story feeds something, it feeds the spirit, the imagination. I can't imagine life without stories, stories from my parents, my culture. Stories from other people's parents, their culture. That's how we learn from each other, it's the best way. That's why literature is so important, it connects us heart to heart.
Alice Walker

And it's true. 

Think about those times where your kids are feeling scared or nervous- we tell them stories- we don't give them the facts all laid out- we relate a story of ourselves in a similar situation. We tell them stories about when we were kids. When you get together with friends- you relate your stories. We have news stories, human interest stories and so many more. We are told stories through advertising. We share stories on social media, in blogs and through our art. We read stories to our children- myths, legends and fairy tales. We hear stories of history, foundations, survival, loss, families, and each other.

I brain stormed all the avenues we use to tell stories, all the places that we see and hear stories, stories from our past and our cultures, and the ways we convey stories.

Facebook, blogging, diary writing, art journaling, photo books, message boards, biographies, memoirs, conversation, oral story telling, indigenous story telling, myths, legends, creation stories, hieroglyphics, cave drawings, scrapbooking, project life, letter writing, baby books, last wishes, you tube, twitter, Instagram, memory keeping, songs, oral history, poems, writing apps, prompt sites, news stories, human interest stories, art works, stories in advertising, story telling in business.

And we all do it. Even those who take a vow of silence tell their own stories through prayer. I believe we are driven to do it. We need to do it. 

Isn't that cool? Of all the differences we have and all the places and times we've lived in as human beings one thing that we all share is a love of sharing our stories with each other.


 ♥


No comments: