Sunday, February 3, 2013

Story Chapter 5- don't look back?

 (Source: Unknown)

 I'm not sure if the quote above is true.

I can see it in some aspects of my life and the stories living in this house. I know that Kieran in particular would still, at times, like to turn back to the page where the pick-a-path said "Stay in Auckland turn to page 76  or move to Perth turn to page 94". What he didn't know was that the start of page 76 said: "You decide to stay in Auckland but the Airforce posts you to Ohakea". The life we imagine we might have had if we had chosen a different path isn't necessarily the life we would have got. It's a case of what might have been rather than what would have been.

On the flip side if Merenia went back and re-read the last few chapters with different eyes. Perhaps she might see her own story differently right now. Perhaps some of the seemingly smaller details she skimmed over may catch her eye on the second pass. Perhaps the sentences she mis-read the first time around she will read correctly. And hopefully some of the events that seemed huge at the time, and shaped the girl she is now, might not be seem so big in hindsight.

If you don't review the past chapters how do you learn from them?
How much review should you do?
And if the story is shaping who you are- then don't you bring the past chapters along with you?

As you can probably tell from my last Story post- this issue is quite a stumbling block in the way my story plays now. And it's a question I have often asked. How do you get past it? How do you get over it? How do you move on without the baggage it has created?

I guess it's one of the things I am hoping to learn by devoting my year to my Story. How to 'write' the next chapter different, better than the ones past.

I guess it comes down to awareness. I almost need a list (mental and/or physical) of my own red flags- the repeated patterns of action/reaction that come from a place created by earlier chapters in my life. And maybe some white flags too- so I can remember to utilise the good lessons I've learned. It's not a list I'd put on my blog but it's certainly one worth getting down. I've made a note of it.

So maybe it's not a case of re-reading it- which is what I often do alone in my garden, while driving, or in the moments before sleep. Maybe it's a case of doing a summary of the main points, good and bad- and taking what you need and finding a way to leave the rest.


 (Source: Unknown)

And that's the trick isn't it?

No comments: