Monday, July 14, 2014

This week on the web

At Abundant Mama: 20 Bad Habits That Contribute To Mum Burnout

Something fun to make if you have a preschooler.



Study: Too Many Structured Activities May Hinder Children's Executive Functioning. If this turns out to be more than correlation it's just another reason why the powers that be in early childhood and early primary education here in Australia, the UK and USA are getting it so, so wrong.... as if we need MORE reasons.

I discovered Nerdist this week... it's a bit hit and miss for me... guess I'm not the Nerd I thought I was. But I did like this Game of Thrones Wedding. And I would never have discovered Japanese Doctor Who.

I've been working my way through the 20 Most Popular Ted Talks, I am just over halfway. My faves so far are: Ken Robinson, Amy Cuddy, Brene Brown, Tony Robbins, and Dan Gilbert.

This shows the sorry state of affairs in NZ: The Destruction of New Zealand's Public Education System. Australia is on par... though they started further behind to start with and there are differences across the States- WA's Public Early Childhood system is a disgrace when compared to 'best practice'.

On the positive side in education is always Teacher Tom Faoutrites this week: Quitting and We have the actual evidence.

And I'm just bookmarking this report on the importance of play for myself. :-)

I rediscovered Thug Kitchen- "Eat like you give a F#$K!" Can't believe I forgot that shit!

I want to buy some more of the cool plant pots from Ikea so I can make lamp shades for above the dining table in our dream home, just like these ones from Boots N'Gus. I think some Pyrex ones would be cool for the kitchen as well.


The Trailer for the new series of Dr Who is up.... can't wait. :-)

No comments: