Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Round-up~ July 2012

On our bookshelf this month....
Merenia is still doing the Twilight thing. Kieran other than the newspaper has been reading the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night. Will and I are still enjoying Noddy together and he mostly reads library books with Les. Tama is having lots of Nursery Rhymes, Maisy and Hairy Mclary. I read 'Why we get fat' by Gary Taubes and found it very interesting reading. Les got a whole stack of Aircraft related books to read for his birthday but has yet to get the opportunity. He did read a book about eating this month too though.
I'd like to take a moment to just say a little thanks for Margaret Mahy and that she has given to children's literature, she will be sorely missed. For the little ones my favourite Mahy stories are 'A Summery Saturday Morning' and 'The Witch in the Cherry Tree' For the bigger ones; 'Memory' is my absolute favourite but I also love 'The Changeover' and 'The Tricksters'.
Loving on the box....
A lot of the good shows are finishing up and most of the networks over here aren't putting any sort of fight up against the Olympics- makes like boring! Series 3 of Offspring ended- BEST ending EVER! I LOVE that show and I will definitely be getting the DVD of S3! Survivor ended- one of the lamer seasons in Survivor history. Masterchef ended and the best of the final three won... although I'm not sure the final three really should have been the final three. Will is a huge masterchef fan and has great ambitions to go on the show and cook egg in a window. Greys Anatomy is still on- yay! And we're watching far too much Olympic sport! AFL for Kieran. Will and Merenia enjoyed The Sound of Music! Will and I enjoyed The Adventures of Milo and Otis. Kieran and I watched 28 days Later and 28 Weeks later. And Thunderbirds - what would our life be without the Tracey Family??
For you...For me?
We got gifts for the teachers for birthdays, end of term and leaving.  Les of course got a bunch of cool loot for his birthday.

Germs and bugs and botherations....
End of term-itis for Will. A snotfest for both Will and Tama. Coldsores for me- grrrrrr! Tama is teething and for the first time ever I have witnessed an Eruption Cyst- big, scary and totally normal!
Today was good today was fun, tomorrow is another one...

School Holidays- always good, cuts the running around by half- and we had no games for Netball and Hockey- so no getting up before 7am on Sunday mornings. Joe and Jan and Dave and Glenys Griffen visited while they were transiting to South Africa. We went to the beach at Hillary's, had lunch with Les and then onto the Zoo. We decorated Cupcakes day and invited people over. Wills best friend Declan came with his Mum, Kat and sister Alyssa. Les went sloping for the day. Merenia went to St Johns Camp and had a couple of sleepovers in the hols.

Yum, yum, yum....

I made a Pumpkin Cheese Cake- the topping tasted yum- especially when it was warm. Merenia made  Cinnamon Oysters. We had a massive Cupcake baking day and then decorated them and invited local friends to stop by. One of the Hockey Mums is Turkish she gave me some Baklava- can't believe I've never had it before!

'It was on sale'....

New clothes for me and Merenia. I got photos printed for the first time in ages- that should placate all the Nanas! We got a few new books for the grown ups and lucky books for the kiddos. Merenia brought a Stable on Gumtree (poor mans Trade-me). And we also brought her a Desk too. Friends of The Zoo passes for me and Will (and Tama).

Bugger!

I made Pumpkin Cheese Cake for Les' Birthday and the water bath failed and the base was a mess of soggy glug. Wills AMAZING Kindy teacher Mrs Gordon left for a more appreciative school! I tried to teach myself Crochet. All hell broke out on the NZMAA and it consumed about a week of my life!

Hooray!

The awesome lady at Spotlight who waited by the car with sleeping Tama while I ran in and got the balloons for Les' Birthday. The lovely lady who gave us her ticket so we didn't need to pay for parking at the zoo. The sweet lady in the line at the fruit and vege store who insisted upon giving Tama a banana. A family of ducklings in the pond down the road and my bulbs are coming up.

Etc...

Les helped out at a quiz night fundraiser his boss did. Les went to Exmouth for the day to fix a life raft. Les got the all-clear. Olympic Fever has set in.


You know who's good idea this was? Katie The Scrapbook Lady. Go check out her list of tasks to do at the end of each month as well.

No comments: