Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Teacher's Day and the Dept. of Ed.

I am in two minds about this little thing above.
1. Woo hoo! Great teachers are valuable and important and amazing and don't get nearly enough thanks and appreciation.
2. Seriously? I know we haven't been tax payers in Australia for a while but if our education tax dollars are going on posting out a full colour card and the full colour A4 letter that came with it I'm not sure that's wise use of money which I'm sure schools could happily spend in other areas. 
And it's not just this all the receipts for payments I make and a lot of notices (especially from the high school) are posted to me- I mean could they not just give them to the kids to bring home saving an envelope and a stamp. I know some kids aren't terribly responsible and some things might take a while to get into parents hands if they come via that route-but I don't think that bypassing them completely is going to help improve the situation at all. I get a lot of mail from the WA Dept. of Ed- and I think it's all just a big fat waste of money that could be better spent on kids and their education! And that's just the start of my issues with the department of Ed. Let's not get started on the fact that Merenia's school does not have a dedicated full time secretary- but a number of floaters the main one that I have encountered generally doesn't seem to have a clue what she's doing. I miss Mrs Crawford- grumpy though she may have been on occasion- she knew what she was doing and got stuff done.

No comments: