Monday, April 27, 2015

This week on the web...

I thought Russle Brand's "Trews" about immigrants/refugees and society's views regarding them was a good watch.

I think one of the things most troubling me at the moment is the idea that we're not going anywhere. Whilst paying off debt and buying our own place would be nice it's not really what I am dreaming of. I want my life to have made a difference and I want to gain some meaning in my life by doing things that make a difference. I don't want to just live my life- I want it to matter that I did. I have aspirations and I want the people around me to have aspirations as well. So 7 choices you'll regret at the end of your life was an interesting read which got me thinking on such things.

"...the common idea about physical activitity as a cure for obesity is something we need to forget – because it’s not true."  Um.... YES!!

______________________________________________

I know we've just passed ANZAC day but I was searching our home library for books related to the topic and found it sadly lacking! Here's what we have...

Memorial by Gary Crew and Shaun Tan (Middle Primary up)

Dear Alison Edited by Simon Pollard  (Middle Primary up)

Harry and the ANZAC Poppy by John Lockyer ( Lower Primary Up)

Lest We Forget By Kerry Brown (Kindergarten up)

---------------------------------------------------

Here's what's on my wishlist...

ANZAC Biscuits By  Phil Cummings ( Lower Primary Up)

Let the Celebrations Begin By Margaret Wild and Julie Vivas (Not specifically ANZAC but WW2 and a stunning book). (Middle Primary up)

Anzac Day Parade by Glenda Kane and Lisa Allen

My Grandad Marches on Anzac Day by Catriona Hoy.

Lone Pine by Susie Brown and Margaret Warner

A Day to Remember - The Story of Anzac Day by Jackie French

More book ideas/resources here:
http://childrensbooksdaily.com/top-20-picture-books-anzac-day/
http://www.mybookcorner.com.au/articles/899-anzac-day-books-for-children
http://ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/picture-books-for-anzac-day-updated.html 
http://www.thebookchook.com/2014/04/childrens-books-for-anzac-day-2014.html 
http://sevenlittleaustralians.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/anzac-day-in-books.html
http://www.mylittlebookcase.com.au/books/book-list-stories-for-anzac-day/
https://www.pinterest.com/starryeyedtl/anzac-day-in-picture-books/

________________________________________________________

I would love to go to nowhere for 14 hours. :-)

I didn't realise where Teacher Tom was going with the Gypsies and was happily surprised- it was the second article I read today that really made me think... I love it when that happens!

This article is kind of interesting but the remarkable part for me was this:
But perhaps the most striking proof of such nutritional wisdom comes from a 1939 study in which a group of toddlers were put in charge of feeding themselves. They were offered 34 nutritionally diverse whole foods, including water, potatoes, beef, bone jelly, carrots, chicken, grains, bananas and milk. What each child ate, and how much, was entirely up to him or her.
The results were astonishing. Instead of binging on the sweetest foods, the toddlers were drawn to the foods that best nourished them. They ate more protein during growth spurts and more carbs and fat during periods of peak activity. After an outbreak of mononucleosis, curiously, they consumed more raw beef, carrots and beets. One child with a severe vitamin D deficiency even drank cod liver oil of his own volition until he was cured. By the end of the experiment, one doctor was so impressed with the toddlers’ health that he described them as “the finest group of specimens” he’d ever seen in their age group.
The right dose of exercise for a healthy life.

WOW- Gratitude for healing a physically broken heart.

Pretty ETSY stuff alert.....

This is downloaded and then printed yourself- so I'm not sure how good I could make it look- but I still think it's pretty darn cool.

These are the same from the same place.

These are from New Zealand she has a bunch of cool different paper thing in her store. You fold them yourself so they are mailed flat and I think very reasonably priced.

 This bunting is made from vintage lino! Super cool. She also does a very cool line in sets of ducks for the wall.
 I would love this print for the boys room.

Love this star stamp from paper sushi.

This one though is probably more useful and simply pretty.

Lots of wordy posters from these guys- great graphics, hard to choose a favourite.


 Who couldn't use a door dragon?  A bear? Sleepy Rabbit? Sunny Dog? Ninja Birds??
I have a real obsession with World Maps. This one is pretty groovy

More cute- now with Foxes!
  ♥




No comments: