Sunday, July 7, 2013

Story Chapter 27 - Be careful what you think



"You can limit yourself by the story you have created about you. Here are some simple examples of how the story we have created about ourselves can limit us:
I am no good at math. I have never been able to dance. I am not a very good writer. I am very stubborn. I don't sleep well. I am very moody. I struggle with my weight. My English is not good. I am always late. I am not a very good driver. I can't see without my glasses. It is hard for me to make friends. Money seems to slip through my fingers.
The moment you become aware of what you are saying, you can delete these things and rewrite your story!"

In a nutshell. Don't Bullshit yourself. And that goes both ways- there's no point in standing in front of a mirror repeating positive affirmations to yourself either. If it's not true it's not true. And there's no point coming down on yourself for things that are over and done.

So how does all this play into my Story? I have to be mindful because I am prone to telling myself that I haven't done enough or that I am not enough. I also have a terrible habit of reliving situations that didn't go the way I wanted. Trying to get my point across long after a conversation has finished and the other participants have gone home. Often this happens around situations where I feel that I or someone in my family has been unfairly treated or misunderstood. It doesn't help. Especially as what I remember isn't always what actually happened. It's what I felt happened but most likely the person on the other side saw and heard something else. And what felt big and hurtful to me- is a non event for them. Rehashing things doesn't make me feel any better- in fact sometimes it make me feel worse. I'm investing energy and emotion in the past with no hope for success in the future.

To move my story positively forward I need to adhere to one of my favourite adages: "When you know better, you do better". Learn from my mistakes and don't repeat them.

No comments: